D'Oliveiras 1802 Terrantez?

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Le Gamin de Paris

D'Oliveiras 1802 Terrantez?

Post by Le Gamin de Paris »

I came across an article by Neal Martin.https://www.vinous.com/articles/hurdlin ... a-feb-2019

It includes an interesting photo with a beautiful range of old T - It’s the second photo in the article.

The bottle 2nd to right is strange as it looks like a D’Oliveiras stencil font plus collar tag, yet I can find no record of this vintage for them.

Could this be a retouched D'Oliveiras1880 T bottle, any other ideas or insights?

In the article Neal says “we discussed suspect bottles, and our host slipped one dubious 1842 into the line-up in order to see how it differs”. I can see a 1842 “As uvas de Terrantez,“ T in the photo which I’m assuming is the potential fake. However, no mention of the 1802 T 2nd to right
Last edited by Le Gamin de Paris on Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy M
Eric Ifune

Re: D'Oliveiras 1802 Terrantez?

Post by Eric Ifune »

I agree the photo seems to show an 1802 D'Oliveiras Terrantez. I can assume it's one of those wines that they never released commercially. There are a few others including some ancient Malvasia. The selo looks like an early IVM one from the 1980's. As the article states many old wines were exchanges between shippers. I would guess the wine has the same source as the 1802 Acciaioly. There were at least 4 different 1795 Terrantez released including the famous Barbieto, CVM, and Southside Wine Association, but it seems there might have been only 2 original sources.
I've had a few dodgy Madeira in the past including some 1846. They seem to want to copy the HM Borges 1846 "Dues as fez" paper labels. The real ones have Borges on the label as well as the 1900 bottling date. The fake ones only Terrentez and 1846 with the quotation. These seem to be of some real age, but not high quality.
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

A couple of years ago I asked one of the participants of that event about the 1802. Here is the explanation I got:

1802 D’Oliveira was bought by Alex Liddell c 1992 directly from Luis d’Oliveira. It has a JNV seal (like the 1795) but the IVBAM say they don’t have the records to verify what the number corresponds to. Luis d’Oliveira says they didn’t have any 1802.

So Luis may have genuinely forgotten ... the wine seemed old - too old and oxidised to be much fun and we had the fine 1802 Acciaiolly alongside for comparison. Maybe the seal on the bottle corresponds to something else for convenience of export: there probably wasn’t enough of this wine to be registered with the authorities as you had to submit several bottles of anything so it was substantial for small quantities of family held stocks.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

JVN selo is pre revolution so maybe the 1960's.
Le Gamin de Paris

Post by Le Gamin de Paris »

Michael R wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:11 pm A couple of years ago I asked one of the participants of that event about the 1802. Here is the explanation I got:
Thanks for the info Michael that's really helpful [cheers.gif]
Andy M