Madeira auction, not for the faint hearted - wines you won't ever see again on the market

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andreas Platt

Madeira auction, not for the faint hearted - wines you won't ever see again on the market

Post by Andreas Platt »

Hi all!

So, unfortunately I have to thin out my stocks a little bit and have decided to do so at the Madeira-specialized international auction house.

Lots of bottles that are offered are unique wines which likely never being offered again; lots of heavy-hitters.

In case you're seriously interested please pm Roy, he is kind enough to share the auction-link with those serious connaisseurs; auction will commence within two weeks.

As for provenance: all those wines are mine; provenance is perfect, my cellars have been inspected by auction house BEFORE consignment was accepted (class act by the auction house) - good for potential bidders!

Maybe/hopefully some bottles will find a new home here in our community

Andy
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Madeira auction, not for the faint hearted - wines you won't ever see again on the market

Post by Roy Hersh »

We usually do not allow such sales to be posted except in the marketplace. To keep this singular offering to those that are truly Madeira enthusiasts and not just curious, I asked Andreas to post this here instead. The list is absolutely daunting ... but yes, not for the faint of heart ... describes this well. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Re: Madeira auction, not for the faint hearted - wines you won't ever see again on the market

Post by Eric Ifune »

Andy,
Was there a link in your post. It doesn't seem to work.

eric
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

I received major interest in some of the bottles but especially the Borges family stock bottles seem to be of highest relevancy.

The multiple question of how the CTO could have identified as 1730T is to be answered as follows: the 1720Pather, 1730CTO, 1760T, 1780 B all have a back label stating the wines' identities. Unfortunately these back labels are NOT pictured in the pdf-catalogue, but they are described in words. It is clear that NOT every bottle can be picture in full, but if anyone has questions like picture requests or the like, please urgently contact the auctioneer to have a picture prepared.

Also, the described "A" seal on some of the recorked bottles is indeed an "AF" and stands for well known Francisco Albuquerque - no more words needed, I guess! Almost all recorking was done by Mr. Albuquerque.

Thanks Roy, for letting me post this, but I would assume that this single-owners sale is really something special and again many thanks!
Attachments
1780.jpg
1780.jpg (30.07 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
1760.jpg
1760.jpg (114.78 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
cto.jpg
cto.jpg (120.74 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Matt T

Post by Matt T »

Impressive collection of wines, but some pretty crazy prices with several lots way over retail including the 1920 Cossart. Was the 1730 the most ever paid for a Madeira or still less than the JCA 1715? H&H Sercial went for more than WS or Grand Old Boal? Wouldn’t be shocked if this auction set new records for at least a dozen wines. Fun to watch . . . at a distance.
Nigel Bruce

Post by Nigel Bruce »

Reading this eye-boggling thread makes me wonder if I'm the only person looking for some closure here😎