New Port Category in 2022... Drum Roll

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Let's have some fun, one of the category mentionned below will be officialized next year by the IVDP

Rosé réserve?
No votes
Dry Rosé?
No votes
Rosé 10 Years?
No votes
Vintage White?
27%
50 Year Old Tawny?
64%
Orange Port?
No votes
Blanc de Noir Port(white port from red grapes)?
No votes
Single Variety Port?
No votes
Port with an Regionnal Appellation, like Burgundy?
9%

Total votes: 11

Frederick Blais

New Port Category in 2022... Drum Roll

Post by Frederick Blais »

Let's have some fun, one of the category mentionned below will be officialized next year by the IVDP, the big question, which one?

Rosé réserve?
Dry Rosé?
Rosé 10 Years?
Vintage White?
50 Year Old Tawny?
Orange Port?
Blanc de Noir Port(white port from red grapes)?
Single Variety Port?
Port with an Regionnal Appellation, like Burgundy?
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: New Port Category in 2022... Drum Roll

Post by Andy Velebil »

Regional app just so they can make it even more confusing lol.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Who cares about an app , as long as the Stilton is at room temperature :lol:
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

While I'm pretty sure of the answer, I think single variety Port would be interesting. It might muddy the waters, but I really enjoyed the sample tastings I've had over the years from an educational standpoint.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

We already know that the 50 Year Old Tawny and Muito Velho (i.e. 80+ Years Old) categories have been approved by the IVDP and are only awaiting the necessary legislation, so that seems like the obvious answer.

I'd like to see either Vintage White (which would require a re-write of the Vintage Port organoleptic qualities) or single varietal Port. Though honestly, only a couple of the grape varieties make decent Port on their own, so single varietal Port probably isn't that interesting of a category.
Glenn Elliott
Nick Lagrega

Post by Nick Lagrega »

excellent info
Frederick Blais

Glenn E. wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:42 pm We already know that the 50 Year Old Tawny and Muito Velho (i.e. 80+ Years Old) categories have been approved by the IVDP and are only awaiting the necessary legislation, so that seems like the obvious answer.

I'd like to see either Vintage White (which would require a re-write of the Vintage Port organoleptic qualities) or single varietal Port. Though honestly, only a couple of the grape varieties make decent Port on their own, so single varietal Port probably isn't that interesting of a category.
I don't think the info was widely distributed but we can't hide from you Glenn :)
https://www.decanter.com/wine-news/prod ... st-468338/

One producer is now trying to get a young Ruby out on the market earlier... it reminds me of Beaujolais Nouveau.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Frederick Blais wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:47 am
Glenn E. wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:42 pm We already know that the 50 Year Old Tawny and Muito Velho (i.e. 80+ Years Old) categories have been approved by the IVDP and are only awaiting the necessary legislation, so that seems like the obvious answer.

I don't think the info was widely distributed but we can't hide from you Glenn :)
https://www.decanter.com/wine-news/prod ... st-468338/

One producer is now trying to get a young Ruby out on the market earlier... it reminds me of Beaujolais Nouveau.
Ah yes, I'd heard about that proposal also, but completely forgot about it! I'm not sure that I really understand the reasons for "Porto Nouveau" since the sponsor claims that "only the best grapes normally used for Vintage Port or LBV" would be used to make it. Why would you want to strip the best grapes out of your Vintage Port to make something that is very likely going to be seen as a lesser product?
Glenn Elliott
Frederick Blais

I had the same reaction when I read it. Maybe the journalist made a mistake. It would make no sense.

A Porto Nouveau would make things complicated, especially with the law of third.

Douro needs to work on quality recognition. It is unthinkable that this region, having yields 3-4 times lower than most other regions tries to make another ''cheap'' Port. I don't think it would help the Valley, probably at first it would be a curiosity...
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Looks like I am the only one who'd like to see a regional Appellation like Burgundy.

Would be great for agro-tourism and bring the consumer closer to the product. Promotes a sense of place and an elevation of SQVP.

Going along with this I'd like to see more serialization of all vintage port bottles so they can be tracked and recorded over their life span. Owners could register or check in their bottles as the owner and bottles could have documented lineage. Might be some smoke and mirrors, but if vintage port is going to sit around 20-60+ years before opening; a digitized story could be very fascinating in the decades ahead. Like a Carfax for the bottle's history.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Frederick Blais

Moses Botbol wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:58 am Looks like I am the only one who'd like to see a regional Appellation like Burgundy.

Although a general and respected regional appellation is not going to happen tomorrow. One producer will release next year some Douro wines from different region of the Douro. You'll be able to buy the same brand from 3 different ''communes like they say in Burgunday'' and they regular blend, so for 4 different wines under one brand to understand the effect of the terroir. I can't say the name as they have not officially released it, but it will be interesting I'm sure.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Frederick Blais wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:24 pm
Moses Botbol wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:58 am Looks like I am the only one who'd like to see a regional Appellation like Burgundy.
Although a general and respected regional appellation is not going to happen tomorrow. One producer will release next year some Douro wines from different region of the Douro. You'll be able to buy the same brand from 3 different ''communes like they say in Burgunday'' and they regular blend, so for 4 different wines under one brand to understand the effect of the terroir. I can't say the name as they have not officially released it, but it will be interesting I'm sure.
I know that choice had to be ringer for something. [cheers.gif]

Agreed that a commune or regional appellation like Burgundy is a big undertaking and could take a decade or two to really mean something, but will be worth it in the end.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Regional designations would be cool, but I wonder if they would stand out over other variations in farming, slope aspect, winemaking decisions, etc. With advances in farming over the last 40 years, I’m growing more of the opinion that AOCs do much more to defend traditional practice/grapes than they do quality, flavors, or style.

I’d personally love a White VP category, as there seems like there’d be a world of possibilities out there without totally chucking tradition/soul. If that would overlap with Orange Port, that’s cool too, throw some foot treading of whites in for good measure, sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad