Cooking with Port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

ryan opaz

Cooking with Port

Post by ryan opaz »

I hate to say this but I have a lot of port open and not enough time to drink it all. After last months tastings and retastings I am left with many half empty bottles of vintage ports, LBV's and Tawny's. Not wanting to waste what were so many wonderful treats, I was wondering if any of you had any good recipes that might require a bit of Port in them? Desserts? Marinades? other delectables. What are peoples favorites, and any other suggestions for the wines that remain on my dining room table?

Cheers,
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

A good way to finish off bottles is to do a simple reduction...

Cook meat in a fry pan such as a steak, pounded chicken breast or veal, and when it is 4-5 minutes from being done, pour about 4-6 ounces of port and let it reduce by at least 1/2. I then plate the meat and pour the port reduction over it.

If it is chicken or veal, add some lightly chopped Jamon a minute before adding the port.

A lamb chop or beef, add a sprig of rosemary or some allspice & thyme. Too many ways to make a quick sauce.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ryan,

I say just invite some more friends over and finish them off ;) But the reduction is what I would do too. I enjoy it over a steak or I mix it with some BBQ sauce and bake it with chicken in the oven for about 45 minutes.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

I use Port in some Puddings, in a Duck with chestnuts recipe, and if you search there will be a lot of recipes with Port.
Best Regards, João Rico
http://www.pumadas.blogspot.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

A splash in soups are excellent as well.
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

These are all good suggestions. I also like to poach fresh pears in port. With a little nutmeg and/or cinnamon, the pears are steamed in the port with a lid on. The pears can be removed after they are cooked and the port reduced o a syrup and then spooned over the pears. A fresh bottle of an LBV goes well with this.
Richard Henderson
DavidG
Location: Sacramento, California, United States of America - USA

dessert

Post by DavidG »

Dont forget to use a nice port reduction as a dessert topping...

I made a huckleberry cobbler then put a few scoops of vanilla bean ice cream on top then drizzled a port reduction over it all...yum!
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

I like to use tawny in a mushroom gravy/ragout

Saute fresh mushrooms in butter along with shallots, garlic, salt, pepper to taste. When thoroughly sauteed I add a 1/4 cup or so of Vermouth. When that is reduced, add in about 1/3 cup tawny port and about 1/3 cup of cream. Let simmer until desired thinkness is reached. I always play up or down with the Port and Cream to taste and if more is desired you can add chicken or vegetable stock as well. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
Scott Anaya
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

My favorite is to use a Port reduction poured at room temperature over a wild mushroom bread pudding. Divinity at its pure essence!

Now here is something that everyone can do and not just Ryan (although it is nice to see him over here):

Take the excess Port from your bottle(s) and pour it into empty ice cube trays. Let the Port freeze solid and then dump it into a gallon sized zip-lock bag and keep this filled in your freezer. Whenever you are cooking a steak (or even turkey) and want to create a sauce, just toss in a few Port ice cubes to your onions and mushrooms prior to serving them atop your steak.

In the summer time, they make a very refreshing dessert too and I'll admit to once letting my daughter try 'em. :wink:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Michael Ferrier

Post by Michael Ferrier »

Two traditional English recipes that use port are Jugged Hare and Cumberland Sauce. Cumberland Sauce is normally served cold with cold meat such as gammon or game.
I remember, not that many years ago, my father in law opening a bottle of Taylor's '35 just for the Cumberland Sauce; fortunately there was plenty left to enjoy.
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by John Danza »

I saw a posting by someone once about using port in a red pasta sauce instead of dry red wine. I tried it over Thanksgiving and it worked out very well. It gave the sauce a slightly sweet note, which was very pleasant.

John
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am not sure if it was here (think it was on Squires' but I did mention that at least once or twice).

I do use Port nearly every time I make sauce, although mine is in ice cube form unless I have a an open bottle of LBV around. Stewart and a friend were over for an 8 bottle Port tasting the othernight, after a dinner of chicken parmesan with Port in the sauce.

Lots of great ways to incorporate Port into cooking, especially Tawny Ports.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ole Udsen

Post by Ole Udsen »

Dear all,

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. May your gifts be large and plentiful and your (no doubt Port-induced) hangovers be modest.

I once had pan-seared turbot with a red wine and port sauce in a Michelin two-star restaurant in Copenhagen. The sauce was made with fish stock, a bit of (light) veal stock, red wine (Beaujolais or similar light and fruity wine so as not to go heavy on the tannins) and ruby Port. Reduce a lot and emulsify with some could butter.

This may sound like a heavy sauce with turbot, but don't forget that it is a meaty and powerfully-flavoured fish, and that it is to be pan-seared. It is a sumptuous dish.

Best regards
Ole
Life is too short to drink bad wine
Mika H

Re: Cooking with Port

Post by Mika H »

My wife made some very tasty home made mustard for this christmas. Since she somehow always gets the ingredients in balance just using "pinches and dashes" i can't tell you the excact amounts of these:
Colman's mustard powder
vinegar
sugar
cream
apple jam
some Maizena for thickening
and finally the secret weapon, "a splash" of Churchill's reserve port.

Perfect with the Yule ham.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Has she tried other Ports or is Mrs. H a big fan of Churchill's for a specific reason?
Janet Ainsworth

Post by Janet Ainsworth »

I just had a lovely passionfruit cream served with a drizzle of port reduction. Yummm!

If you aren't in a passionfruit area, I would try it with mango instead.
John Vachon

Post by John Vachon »

Sorry I just use Madiera.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I like a splash in soups and broths. Try it in some Ramen! :salute:
Mika H

Post by Mika H »

Roy Hersh wrote:Has she tried other Ports or is Mrs. H a big fan of Churchill's for a specific reason?
Roy, thanks for asking. There was no specific reason for her using Churchill's, it was just something we happened to have at the moment. It's a nice fruity port, which however in my opinion doesn't differ that much from younger basic rubies.