Tuke Holdsworth, 1983, 375ml bottle

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

dave berg

Tuke Holdsworth, 1983, 375ml bottle

Post by dave berg »

My memory of this from 2014 is that it was just off; the whole balance of acid, alcohol, and tannin was just off. Or am I confusing it with the 1980, of which I have no more. The tasting notes from 2014 aren't that bad, so my memory must be. But I didn't bother to stock up on it. Big mistake. This now has the most pleasant intriguing nose. Maybe caramel, date, fig, raisin, brown sugar. But maybe with a bit of blackberry or dark cherry. Very familiar, but i don't know from where. This happens to me often. The flavor matches the nose. It's a bit like a Madeira. A note in 2014 said sherry. Kind of light. This is so good and intriguing that I just sniff it every several minutes trying to describe it, and because I don't want the glass to be empty. Maybe it resembles Cockburn 20 year. If this is not superb it is close. I don't know where the Grocery Outlet supply went, if it wasn't all sold, but it's a treasure now. I have one 375ml bottle left.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Tuke Holdsworth, 1983, 375ml bottle

Post by David Spriggs »

Yes. I've seen that too. A poor showing and then years later.... it comes around! It's magic!
I love it when that happens.