Quinta do Crasto LBV Tasting

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

Quinta do Crasto LBV Tasting

Post by John M. »

13 of us met to taste a bunch of Q. do Crasto LBVs. I usually get at least a case of these every year (great QPR IMHO) and have been setting aside a couple to see how they evolve over time plus thought they would be a great vertical for our modest Port Club. Overall, I was struck by how the older ones really evolved a lot to such a lovely place---sure they are good as soon as you get them but in 15 years they just ratchet up a few points. We had 7 LBVs and included a ringer of a 1994 Q. do Crasto VP. Turned out the VP was easy to detect--not only was its color distinctly different its flavor profile was nothing close the classic LBV profile. Everyone guessed it correctly.

All Ports were served blind in two flights of four, decanted 4 hours before except the VP (24 hours). Overall an excellent set of wines; many expressed how much they enjoyed every single one. WOTN was the 2007 LBV--everyone had it in their top 3. The 1994 VP was an enigma--3 of the more advanced tasters had it #1, but more than that had it as their least favorite; it is notable that this also changed quite a bit over the hour it was being tasted.

Big Shout Out to Mike J. W. who was an honored guest and brought the 1994 VP.

On a Points basis the favorites were 2007, 2011 and 2008 in that order. On a 3-2-1 basis 2007, 2011 and 1994 (but as mentioned 3 had 1994 #1, no one else gave it a single point).

Below-Points are mine alone (Side note: 2009 LBV apparently not produced; did not have a 2013 or 2015).

2006 Quinta do Crasto LBV: Red to brownish color. The nose is odd, spicy with a hint of a sweat sock. Yet the taste is completely different than the nose, juicy sweet with spicy pepper. Feels like it is in a dumb phase.

88 Points

2007 Quinta do Crasto LBV: Mellow tart cherry and blackberry with a touch of grass and pepper. Pale red rim, aromas of cherry must and baking spices; occasional medicinal smell. Softer, clean finish.

92 Points

2008 Quinta do Crasto LBV: Cloudy putting of grass and light berry aromas. Classic Crasto LBV profile with cherry on the finish. Still tannic and should age more.

89 Points

2010 Quinta do Crasto LBV: Clear dense and dark. Nose of dry blueberry. Tannic bomb full of esteva, spice forward and then faint berry towards blueberry. Needs time to evolve--nice potential.

90 Points

2011 Quinta do Crasto LBV: Red rose rim. Tart cherries with a lovely finish; not fully developed and everything is muted. Still, this one has nice potential.

91 Points

2012 Quinta do Crasto LBV: Red rose color with a dry nose to grass. Lightly sweet and Light tannins. Cooked cherry. Average.

91 Points

2014 Quinta do Crasto LBV: Dark and brooding--squid ink! Lots of cherries and blueberries. Slightly tannic and medicinal, dry finish with a hint of mint. Classic profile. Needs to mellow out.

89 Points

1994 Quinta do Crasto Vintage Port: Cordovan color with a hint of pink. Cooked sugar towards caramel but not quite. Soft cherry pie filling with a hint of caramel and prune, refined and soft. Occasional chocolate notes and grape stem.

93 Points
Attachments
Before the Tasting (1994 is #3 here, You can see the color difference)
Before the Tasting (1994 is #3 here, You can see the color difference)
Port Table slanted.JPG (158.87 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
1st Flight
1st Flight
Port 4 Bottles.JPG (117.97 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
Crasto LBV Corks
Crasto LBV Corks
Port Corks.JPG (97.97 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Re: Quinta do Crasto LBV Tasting

Post by Eric Menchen »

Looks like a fun tasting, and that's a nice write up. It makes me want to open my 1994 Crasto VP, but I only have one, so it seems I should save it for a vertical or horizontal tasting some time.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Looks like it was a fun and educational evening. They do make some nice LBV's.

Did you think the VP was mature or still has a ways to go? Was hard to tell as the note seemed to indicate it was advancing a bit faster than other top 94's.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:51 am Looks like it was a fun and educational evening. They do make some nice LBV's.

Did you think the VP was mature or still has a ways to go? Was hard to tell as the note seemed to indicate it was advancing a bit faster than other top 94's.
It's certainly further along than Graham's, Fonseca or Taylor's. It's ready to drink now, but I think it has a decade or two of life in it.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
John M.

Post by John M. »

Mike J. W. wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:48 am
Andy Velebil wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:51 am Looks like it was a fun and educational evening. They do make some nice LBV's.

It's certainly further along than Graham's, Fonseca or Taylor's. It's ready to drink now, but I think it has a decade or two of life in it.
Andy--agree with Mike. Advanced more than the big ones, but I would think not at the apex yet.
Any Port in a storm!
John M.

Post by John M. »

Mike J. W. wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:48 am

Andy--agree with Mike. Advanced more than the big ones, but I would think not at the apex yet. It was noticeable how different the VP tasted from the typical Crasto LBV profile.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thanks guys appreciate it!

And it is fun to slip in a VP into a LBV tasting. They do tend to stand out from a quality standpoint even among very good LBV’s.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com