Port Vintages, Second Edition

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Julian D. A. Wiseman

Port Vintages, Second Edition

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

Sent today:

In 2018, after ten years of work, Port Vintages was finished. The book was done: I could emerge from my cave and discover who else lived in the house — wife! three children! cats! Who knew?

Well, I believed it was done. The printing was beautiful, but the distributor’s packing was a disaster. Much hassle followed.

Then readers wrote to me. The book was 390k words: one person read it three times before sending a detailed critique. Others sent new information, some of which contained clues leading to yet more. And, deeply regretted, there was an error of mine: in July 2012 I had tasted Martinez 1948, yet it was missing from the book. {Looks at feet, contrite.} Mea culpa. It likely hurt me much more than you. Plus, of course, there was more new information, in 2018 unknown and unknowable.

So there must be a second edition. The first edition was described as “the definitive reference book on old Vintage Port” (George Sandeman), as “Wisden’s for drinkers of Vintage Ports” (Dominic Symington), and as “an essential work for any one interested in Vintage Port” (Richard Mayson). The second edition is all that, and more.

But sell + print + distribute is not my game. It is a task for a professional, and there was one natural choice for the job. Hence I’m extremely pleased that the Académie du Vin Library, founded by the late Steven Spurrier, has agreed to be the seller + printer + distributor of the second edition of Port Vintages.

And, already, Thunderbirds Are Go!: pre-order now. You will need a copy for the dining room, one for the cellar, two for each bedroom, one in every little room, and the same again for all your friends-and-relations. So pre-order lots!

The book is expected to be printed and ready for shipping early Autumn 2022.

An extra request. Many oenophiles didn’t know of this book at first publication. Please, my previous customers, also be my salesforce. Doubtless you know aficionados and connoisseurs who need to have the definitive book on Vintage Port. Please forward this email to them, prefixing sentences of high praise. You know them; please let them know.

Obviously, the PortVintages.com mailing list cannot be given to the AdVL. To be informed about progress with the book, about your pre-order, and about the AdVL’s other books, please subscribe to the AdVL mailing list.

Enjoy, both reading and drinking.

— J. D. A. Wiseman
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Port Vintages, Second Edition

Post by Andy Velebil »

Very cool. Will be ordering a couple this week.

For others, it’s about 40-50 pages more of info, plus some other stuff. Even if you got the first one, worth getting the new one.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Nice. I'll get my order in as well.
Stewart T.

Post by Stewart T. »

Pre-Ordered!

Looking forward to the 2nd Edition!
Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Thank you for ordering. Please be re-encouraged to order soon, as we need to estimate the size of the print run.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thanks for the reminder. Order in.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

George Sandeman has written, saying that the first edition appeared on Portuguese TV! RTP (their BBC), in a segment about our favourite wine and the Platinum Jubilee, from 01:29 to 01:32.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Julian D. A. Wiseman wrote:George Sandeman has written, saying that the first edition appeared on Portuguese TV! RTP (their BBC), in a segment about our favourite wine and the Platinum Jubilee, from 01:29 to 01:32.
Cool!!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Just a bump to remind people to get their pre-order in.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

The printer has sent me a speedy copy, the others being transported more slowly. And it’s fabulous. The pictures are brighter and higher resolution than in the first edition. The paper has been slightly lightened, both colour and weight, but is still properly opaque. And the author (says this entirely neutral observer) has done a great job: 635 pages of the first edition has become 700 pages of the second: more Vintage Ports, more detail, more ancient tasting notes of Ports for which you or I might bid at auction.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

The warehouse of the Académie du Vin Library is having an IT disaster, and re-sending many emails.
Please disregard that email. Our fulfillment partner is updating our ecommerce channel integration and it appears there was a slight oversight on their behalf. The system re-sent notifications to customers on orders already processed in the past. I can reassure you that these orders will not be processed again and the glitch has been fixed immediately.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Julian D. A. Wiseman wrote:The warehouse of the Académie du Vin Library is having an IT disaster, and re-sending many emails.
Please disregard that email. Our fulfillment partner is updating our ecommerce channel integration and it appears there was a slight oversight on their behalf. The system re-sent notifications to customers on orders already processed in the past. I can reassure you that these orders will not be processed again and the glitch has been fixed immediately.
Bummer. Was hoping two more would be mysteriously delivered.
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

Just ordered mine. Looking forward to reading about my favorite thing - port!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Scott Esterly wrote:Just ordered mine. Looking forward to reading about my favorite thing - port!
Open a very big bottle, you’ll need it when you see how big a book it is. Hah!
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

It’s an amazing book. If you’re a Port fan and don’t already have a copy, it’s not cheap but it’s worth buying (but only one copy Andy!).
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:51 pm It’s an amazing book. If you’re a Port fan and don’t already have a copy, it’s not cheap but it’s worth buying (but only one copy Andy!).
I bought two of each editions. At some point in time, someone newer to Port who shows a passion for it will be gifted one of the copies. Must pass on to others coming after us.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:26 pm I bought two of each editions. At some point in time, someone newer to Port who shows a passion for it will be gifted one of the copies. Must pass on to others coming after us.
I bought two of the first, and when the second edition came out I gave one of those to a local wine drinking friend that is also into Port.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I bought both versions of the first edition (regular and leather-bound) so now have 3 total copies.
Glenn Elliott
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

It's been 2 weeks since I received the book and I'm very happy. I have read half of the book and already learned several interesting little details that I would not have learned elsewhere. Moreover, I will probably read this book several times and refer to it.

I like it but... I thought that every vintage of the Ports described was going to be present. When I look at the recent vintages that I know I see that certain vintages of certain Ports are missing.
ex: The 2008 of Vargellas and Terra Feita of Taylor Fladgate are missing. I don't know all the old vintages and I haven't done any research, but I would have liked to have all the vintages of the houses presented present.

It is very interesting to see documents, information and descriptions of very old vintages but I would have liked to have had more comments on the quality or the risk on several vintages to help me to bid at auction.

Maybe it was my mistake that I didn't read what the book contained. Despite everything, I do not regret my purchase (I am passionate about Porto). In addition, with the number of houses described, I am looking for new Ports to buy. Without forgetting the quality of the book which is very well done.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

It stopped listing vintages around 2000 (I may be off by a bit) as those are now easily referenced via internet. Which is why you won’t see newer ports listed.