#1: What is your favorite vintage of Graham's VP?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

Recently, I can recall tasting 1994, 1985, 1983, and 1977 Graham's. 1994 is my favorite. It needs time but it's going to be great in 10 to 20 years. I'm with Roy on the '77. The bottles I've tasted were unbalanced with overpowering alcohol.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Beginning with the 1945, there is no vintage of Graham's I have not had at least 4x. From 1955 on, that number at least doubles except for the 1991 which I have only had a handful of times. I really love Graham's from what you will see here (just in case some newbies might not have seen this before): http://www.fortheloveofport.com/index.p ... &Itemid=67

If I had only ONE to choose from though, it would have to be the 1970 which not only drinks well today, but has done so every single time I've had it ... plus it will continue to drink extraordinarily well for many years to come.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I knew Roy would pick 1970.

1970 is his default best modern vintage.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I will admit having consumed more 1970 VP than any other vintage, regardless of what appears in my TN data base. I would have to say that 1977 would be second in that regard, especially with all of the Warre's, Taylor and Fonseca I have had.

However, for a modern vintage Moses, it would be extremely hard to ignore 1994 overall, (not for Graham's though) even above and beyond the 1970. Which I would choose to drink today would be an entirely different matter and you'd then be spot on.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I am probably one of the few here who is not really a Graham fan... but I must say that the '55 was really good, and the best Graham I tasted.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Always enjoyable, the '55 has been a VP that I admire greatly. I slightly prefer the '55 Sandeman and the Noval and Cockburn's also are in the same level too. The 1955 Croft, Taylor, Dow and Fonseca are always welcome at my table too. In 2007, I participated in a total of 8 bottles of 1955 although most have not been written up at this point. I need to stop traveling and do more writing. But then again, that is always the connundrum.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Sadly, I have yet to try a Graham's VP. Malvedos even has not found it's way to me in any quantity (I have tried the '96 Malvedos, which was decent but not great) - guess my new year's resolution shall have to be "source and drink more Graham's VPs! :D

Todd
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Moses Botbol wrote: I'm going with: 1985 and 1955
For New Year's we had a bottle of 1908 Grahams and 1970 Grahams. I can see why Roy picks the 1970 Graham as the best, but the 1908 is a true stand out. TN's will be out soon, but I am now going with 1908 as my favorite Graham's vintage.
It's hard to pick a single vintage with Grahams, the more vintages I try, the harder it is to pick one.
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

UPDATE to my previous list:

1. 1908 Graham's
2. 1948 Graham's
3. 1970 or 1955
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

SEAN C. wrote:UPDATE to my previous list:

1. 1908 Graham's
2. 1948 Graham's
3. 1970 or 1955
I'd have to agree with Sean on this one. Never had the '48, but I'll take his word on it.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Split the '66 Grahams this weekend. Once again, another great vintage from Graham. Not as concentrated or integrated as the '70, but a lovely port overall. A touch more acid than I prefer. '70 is still the best Graham I have so far.
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

It has to be the 1966 that we had at the Crusting Pipe a couple of years ago, looking forward to a repeat performance in the same location soon.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.