Warre's 1977

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Warre's 1977

Post by Mike J. W. »

I just received an email that Benchmark Wine is selling 1977 Warre's VP (full bottle) for $91 each. That seems like a decent price in the U.S. They have 36 bottles in stock.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Mike J. W.

Re: Warre's 1977

Post by Mike J. W. »

They're now offering the '77 at $85 ea. during their Bin Sale.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

I only just started my VP collection but I found Benchmark Wine early on. I've made two orders with them and have been very happy with everything. They're great. Shipping is a bit expensive, but the fact that it makes most of the journey via temperature controlled ground shipping is very, very nice.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I've bought from them frequently as well, but they're shipping costs are starting to get a little ridiculous. They're almost double the cost of shipping from a lot of other places that I've bought from.

They also have a sister company called Brentwood wine that has twice weekly auctions. Their commission rate is 15% and they don't charge sales tax. You can find some good deals on there from time to time.
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

I've never really looked into auctions, so I'll check that out. Thanks!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Scott Esterly wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:45 pm I've never really looked into auctions, so I'll check that out. Thanks!
Be very careful of the "hidden" costs, like buyers premium, shipping (costs and where they won't ship to), bottle condition, etc. I see people way overpay for bottles they can get more locally with known storage than what they pay at auction or for bottles that have obvious storage or past leaking issues.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric R...

Post by Eric R... »

…and beware the elevated cork!
Yev Nyden

Post by Yev Nyden »

I have these bookmarked to be able to decipher the bottle condition abbreviations though not remember most of them, perhaps you will find these useful too:
I would almost never have any interest in:
* spc --- slightly protruding cork
* sos --- signs of seepage
* ssos --- slight signs of seepage

... this is so off topic :) we should probably start a separate thread on this...