TN: 1937 D'Oliveiras Madeira Sercial

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

TN: 1937 D'Oliveiras Madeira Sercial

Post by John Danza »

• 1937 D'Oliveiras Madeira Sercial - Portugal, Madeira (10/3/2022)
    2017 bottling. Double decanted two days before service.

Clear medium brown color with a green rim. Very high acidity, as expected from a relatively young Madeira. Lots of residual sugar hidden by the acid.

A couple of hours later, the mouthfeel is denser. The acidity is starting to calm down, but there's way too much residual sugar showing for a Sercial. Toffee, orange peel, some coffee on the palate. The wine seems to lack the refinement of Sercials from better years. I wanted to like this more. (89 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
John Danza
Nigel Bruce

Re: TN: 1937 D'Oliveiras Madeira Sercial

Post by Nigel Bruce »

Hi John,
Just wondered if, 2-3 weeks later, you've found the 1937's profile has changed for the better... is the residual sugar still so dominant? I have 2 bts of the same bottling, & was thinking of gifting one to a friend who prefers a high acid, drier style of madeira...
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by John Danza »

Nigel Bruce wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:39 am Hi John,
Just wondered if, 2-3 weeks later, you've found the 1937's profile has changed for the better... is the residual sugar still so dominant? I have 2 bts of the same bottling, & was thinking of gifting one to a friend who prefers a high acid, drier style of madeira...
Hi Nigel,

I'm afraid the bottle didn't last more than a couple of days, so I don't know. [cheers.gif]

I'm going to open a 1928 at a dinner in a couple of months, so I hope it is the drier style. I'll try to remember to hold off a couple of ounces for a couple of weeks to see what sort of change occurs after that time.
Nigel Bruce

Post by Nigel Bruce »

Hi John,
I'm taking a 1928 Sercial to a friend's too - in Melbourne. We'll both be interested in your notes...