Do you associate a grape with a producer?

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Do you associate a grape with a producer?

Post by Marco D. »

While I've had many great Madeiras of different varietals from a single producer, I seem to associate a particular grape with certain houses. For example:

Barbeito: To me, their Malvasias sing. In general, a bit lighter and filigree than other producers, but I love their focus. Of course the 1900 is an outlier... liquid candy (but I still enjoy it :-))

Blandy's: They seem to really hit the nail on the head with Bual. Of course their 1920 and 1907 are legendary, and their 1957 is keeping up their great tradition.

D'Oliveira: Tough one here, but I would have to go with Verdelho. They are masterful at blending the delicacy of the varietal with their powerful house style. The 1850 and 1912 have always been benchmark wines for me. I believe they own their own Verdelho vineyards in São Martinho, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Manuel Eugenio Fernandes: Tough one here between Sercial and Verdelho, but I might lean towards their Verdelho. So unique, so distinctive. You can almost taste the salt from their vineyards proximity to the ocean.

Anyone else make these kind of associations with producers?
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Eric Ifune

Re: Do you associate a grape with a producer?

Post by Eric Ifune »

Borges is famous for their 19th C Terrantez.