Mourao "100"

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mark L

Mourao "100"

Post by Mark L »

Hello dear friends and fellow port lovers (in particular, Mourao lovers)!

I would like to find a new, appreciative home for my largely untouched bottle of the rather legendary

"100" from Mourao,

which has been in a professional wine storage facility since purchase several years ago upon release.

It is in wonderful condition; still in that cork presentation box. Rather than go on, I'll let the pictures do the talking. (Note: for those familiar with this unique packaging, there is a top part of the inner packaging that covers the neck and cork of the bottle that is not pictured - I took it off for the photo so you could see the fill level.)

I'm looking to get $1200 for it, OBO. Venmo, Zelle, or cash accepted.

I will only otherwise note that I would technically prefer to sell within the USA unless you might have a good international shipping solution. Likewise, an additional priority might be a buyer in CA who could take possession in person.

That said, I certainly realize that a good deal many of you are not in CA, so if you (whether international or domestic) were to DM me an offer, please also include any recommendations you would be okay with for me to get it to you safely!

Best wishes and happy drinking!

Sincerely,
Mark
Attachments
20221129_143947.jpg
20221129_143947.jpg (164.04 KiB) Viewed 1859 times
20221129_143919.jpg
20221129_143919.jpg (142.22 KiB) Viewed 1859 times
20221129_143856.jpg
20221129_143856.jpg (184.58 KiB) Viewed 1859 times
Last edited by Mark L on Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Mourao "100"

Post by Glenn E. »

For reference, "engarrafado em 2015" means this is an example of the original "old" blend which is also the current blend. Miguel briefly bottled a different "new" blend in, IIRC, 2019 before switching back.
Glenn Elliott
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Many thanks for the very helpful insight, Glenn!

I was fortunate to be able to enjoy another one of these bottles, and hopefully someone else will enjoy this second one which is in perfect condition. I really am willing to accept any reasonable offer, ESPECIALLY from someone on this forum!

Here is a tasting note from the FTLOP Newsletter #85

"Cask Sample, “100”, bottled 2014
The mother wine for this blend comes from 1895 and the average age is just over 100 years. It
just keeps getting… “more.” Thicker, darker, more powerful. More intense. More crazy. The
100 almost looks like molasses in the glass, but it isn’t that thick. It is opaque, though. Opaque
like a brand new just-bottled Vintage Port. The legs are crazy – the Port practically sheets off
the glass rather than form legs, and the viscosity is so high that they take 10+ seconds to
disappear. Legs are normally pretty clear and just show a reminder of the Port’s actual color,
but these stain the glass a mahogany or burnt umber. The nose reveals aged and brewed
molasses, buckwheat honey, supple very old leather, maybe some varnish, pipe tobacco, cigar
box, steel cut oatmeal, and candied citrus. Much of that is echoed in the palate, which has the
texture of heated honey. It makes me think of what the syrup used to make Coca Cola in a
fountain must be like intensity-wise. A small bottle of syrup makes gallons of Coke. This isn’t
something you drink, it’s something you sip in tiny little sips so that your brain can have any
hope of keeping up processing the smells, flavors, and feelings. As it turns out, yes it is possible
to have your mind blown twice in a row."

Cheers all this holiday season,
Mark
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

By the way, I will be traveling to the NJ/NY/CT area for a scant few days between Dec 26 and Dec 30 in case anyone in that area is at all interested in the above bottle. I could bring it with me! I'm also open to trades, etc. Happy Holidays!