Is this à good buy?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

LOUISSS J

Is this à good buy?

Post by LOUISSS J »

I would have the opportunity to make a purchase. Even though I know the majority of these bottles I would like to know if there are positive or negative points about these bottles before making the purchase.
I don't know the price yet.

Vesuvio 1996
Warre 1977
Dow 1985
Cockburn 1994
Infantado 2000
Eric Menchen

Re: Is this à good buy?

Post by Eric Menchen »

Any comments about price are based on my US buying. I can't comment really about Canada.

Vesuvio 1996 - I've hosted a Vesuvio vertical tasting and participated in another. Search the TNDB and forum and you'll find tasting notes, e.g. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17325. I don't think 1996 is at the bottom (1989 might take that?), but it isn't at the top either. My favorites from this timeframe are 1997, 1994, and 1992. However, one of my friends really liked the 1996, so maybe if it is a good deal it is worth a try. I wouldn't want to pay more than US$ 50, and 30-40 would be more enticing.
Warre 1977 - I love this one and am working on my second case now. But at this point bottle variation is a factor. I would definitely take a close look at the bottle condition. I would look for under US$ 100 in general, and I see there are a bunch available at winebid.com for around $70.
Dow 1985 - Can't say a lot about this one, as I've had it just once (maybe twice?) and my recorded TN shows an oxidized bottle that didn't score great.
Cockburn 1994 - I don't even have a tasting note on this one, but it is hard to go wrong with 1994. In general I would try for under US$ 70, and since I have lots of other 1994 in the cellar, for me I would want to pay a bit less.
Infantado 2000 - A lesser producer in what is generally regarded as a lesser year. I wonder if 2000 will show better than its reputation, but given these factors, I would be looking for US$ 30.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Across the board I'd pay a little more than what Eric has listed, but not a lot more. What he's listed is what I might have looked for 10 years ago, but prices have gone up - especially during COVID - so I've adjusted my expectations a little higher. At least from online retailers... if this is a private purchase then yes what Eric has listed is more reasonable.

1996 Vesuvio is an excellent Port. Like Eric my favorites from that time frame are usually 1994, 1997, and 1992, but when we did a small vertical of 1994 - 1998 I ranked the 1996 in the middle at 94 points. (Top to bottom, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998. Totally a coincidence that it was in date order.) Note that when I rate Ports at tastings I'm rating them based on how much I like them, not how good of a Port that I think they are. I think the 1997 is in some way a higher quality Port than the 1996, but on that night I liked the 1996 better.

1977 Warre can be a real ringer for me. I don't normally like Warre's Vintage Ports, but the 1977 always surprises me. Good bottles are wonderful. But as Eric said, once you get to 45 years old you start seeing significant bottle variation in any Port, so you just can't be sure. My expectation for this Port would be 92-93 points, but I've had slightly better and slightly worse. I've actually been looking at those bottles on Winebid.com but haven't pulled the trigger yet... but it's tempting!

1985 Dow is, at least for me, in the top echelon of that vintage. The Graham and Fonseca are pretty clearly better for my palate, but the Dow is right behind them. I'd say there's very little risk in buying this bottle provided the provenance is sound.

1994 Cockburn is a Port with which I have limited experience, but what experience I do have says it's a bit disappointing for that vintage. That said, 1994 as a whole is fantastic so even a somewhat disappointing VP from that year can still be very good. I just wouldn't call it excellent, and it just can't really compete with its peers.

2000 Infantado is one of the better Infantados as I recall, but I generally don't like Infantado so I would not personally be interested in this bottle. Their 1992 is excellent, but I think that's their only Port that I would say that about and most are merely good.

And now that I've written that, I just realized that they're probably listed in the order that I would rank them top to bottom. :lol:
Glenn Elliott
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

Thanks for your answers. [notworthy.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

All wonderful bottles (except I've never had the 2000 Infantado that I recall). If decent pricing, as already mentioned, worth buying them.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:52 am All wonderful bottles (except I've never had the 2000 Infantado that I recall). If decent pricing, as already mentioned, worth buying them.
Agreed. Infantado is a drier style of port FWIW. Not crazy dry or anything like that. Is this all from SAQ or private party?

I'll buy any port if the price is right. [cheers.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

Moses Botbol wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:12 am
Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:52 am All wonderful bottles (except I've never had the 2000 Infantado that I recall). If decent pricing, as already mentioned, worth buying them.
Agreed. Infantado is a drier style of port FWIW. Not crazy dry or anything like that. Is this all from SAQ or private party?

I'll buy any port if the price is right. [cheers.gif]
It's not from the SAQ... 8--)
The price was relatively good (for Quebec).