Rule of thumb for when to open a Crusted Port?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Rule of thumb for when to open a Crusted Port?

Post by Mike J. W. »

I have a handful of Crusted Ports that I have yet to open (Dow 2004 and Niepoort 2014). Is there a general rule of thumb as to how much bottle age they should receive before opening one? Since they are a blend of several years, does that mean that the older ones from the blend were in cask longer than a normal VP, but shorter than the typical LBV?
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Rule of thumb for when to open a Crusted Port?

Post by Andy Velebil »

I would follow decanting regime for a similar aged middle tier VP. Say 6-8 hrs as a good starting point.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:05 pm I would follow decanting regime for a similar aged middle tier VP. Say 6-8 hrs as a good starting point.
Thanks Andy, but I was asking about when the drinking window starts on a Crusted Port and not the decanting time.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Opps. Lol. Others perhaps have more experience but I would treat them as a good quality unfiltered LBV. Say ~15 years old, give or take depending on how it’s aging.

Generally speaking, these were de facto LBV of their day and meant to be consumed earlier.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Thanks Andy. That makes sense once you put it that way. [cheers.gif]
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

They'll go for at least as long as LBV's. ~30 years should be fine.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I'd treat them more like SQVP than LBV. It's typically vintage juice, just not juice that was up to standard. AFAIK it does not get the additional wood aging that LBV gets.
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Crusted Port is the one Ruby Port which can be bottled before the 2nd year after the harvest. Today, many people will include wine from the last harvest in the multi-year blend use to take the Crusted bottled this year.

And then it has to have some time in the bottle in the producer’s cellar before it can be sold.

But back to Mike’s question. I find Crusted much more versatile than most other forms of Port. You can drink it on release, or with 60 years of bottle age. And the drinking window varies by producer.

Basically, you just have to try it and see. I have a bottle of Fonseca Crusted bottled 2001 standing up to be opened on Thursday for our Zoom tasting.