Help finding a 1964 Dow (Bomfim?) Vintage Port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Help finding a 1964 Dow (Bomfim?) Vintage Port

Post by Glenn E. »

Next year is a... uh, significant birthday for me. I am attempting to put together a full horizontal of 1964 Vintage Ports to celebrate!

That's both easier and more difficult than it sounds. Easier because there are only 7* bottles needed so it's not a huge selection, but more difficult because there are only 7* bottles needed and they're all pretty rare.

There are 7 VPs from 1964 for sure according to Julian's book. I have 6 of those and am only missing the Dow Quinta do Bomfim. Thus this post - if you see a 1964 Dow for sale, please let me know! I've been looking passively for about 10 years, and while I've seen them occasionally they've always been too expensive. Well I've now reached the point that "too expensive" is much higher than before because I'm running out of time. :lol:

About that asterisk. There's another that might have been made but was probably never sold, and yet another that was mentioned once possibly in error. Those would be the Gonzalez Byass and Offley Boa Vista respectively. If you see either of these I'd love to know about it, too, but I suspect they don't actually exist, at least not anymore.

And then there's the fact that the Butler Nephew was bottled both as a Butler Nephew (the bottle I currently have), and as a Vasconcellos. I had one with a Vasconcellos label but opened it for my last significant birthday. Julian is pretty sure they're the same Port and just different labels for different markets, so I feel no need to search for another Vasconcellos. If one just happens to show up while searching for the Dow then I'll probably buy it, but I don't need to scour the earth for one.

An, of course, there's the 1964 Niepoort Garrafeira, but that's not a Vintage Port and I already have it anyway.

So... please help me find a 1964 Dow Quinta do Bomfim! [beg.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Scott Esterly

Re: Help finding a 1964 Dow (Bomfim?) Vintage Port

Post by Scott Esterly »

Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Scott Esterly wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:23 pm Did you see this? https://www.vintagewinegifts.co.uk/acat ... ml#SID=134
What an odd thing that is.
... vintagewinegifts have rebottled and recorked a small selection of classic vintage ports for you to enjoy. This bottling is a 20cl bottle of Dows Vintage Reserve Port 1964. This Reserve Port was bottled in 1972 ...
So it isn't really a vintage Port, not even an LBV. Maybe it was once a "reserve" which wouldn't get a year on the label, but they recorded it, bottled it, and sold it to vintagewinegifts who has rebottled it. This is really outside the realm of official IVDP products. But it would be interesting to try.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

That is a Dow Colheita. "Vintage Reserve" was one of several different terms used on the labels of wood-aged Ports prior to standardization. I have a handful of full bottles of that as well. It's decent, but not great. We could argue about whether or not it is "good" as well. :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

I figured it wasn’t the Bomfim you were looking for, but it was *something* from 1964 haha. I agree with with the above description - it’s kind of an odd description and item.

I’ll keep an eye out for the real 64 Bomfim.

(Coincidentally, Bomfim has my birth year port - 1984. I opened one of the three bottles I purchased on NYE. It was quite good).
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I have been informed that the Dow is in fact just a Dow, not a Bomfim. Phil Wakely has a picture of one in the VPID.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I just found a 1964 Dow LBV that Garrafeira Nacional is selling. It's an LBV, but maybe it'll do in a pinch?

https://www.garrafeiranacional.com/en/1 ... -port.html
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Paul C. Metman

Post by Paul C. Metman »

Mike J. W. wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:15 am I just found a 1964 Dow LBV that Garrafeira Nacional is selling. It's an LBV, but maybe it'll do in a pinch?

It's out of stock!! (and extremely expensive!) :(
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Paul C. Metman wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:02 pm
Mike J. W. wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:15 am I just found a 1964 Dow LBV that Garrafeira Nacional is selling. It's an LBV, but maybe it'll do in a pinch?

It's out of stock!! (and extremely expensive!) :(
Ahhh, I missed that. Thanks Paul. (And yeah, it was crazy expensive)
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Well I just found - and arranged to purchase - the mythical 1964 Gonzalez Byass! If not for Julian's book I'd have never known it might exist, but apparently it does. Once it arrives I'll send pictures to Julian and Phil so that they have it for their records!

I'm getting a 1964 Messias LBV at the same time. (I already have the 1964 Messias Colheita.) Very convenient shop to find!
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Thanks Thomas!

I have the 2 Colheitas and the Burmester LBV. Will have to think about the Dow's Crusted... that's pretty expensive.
Glenn Elliott