H&H new releases

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andreas Platt

H&H new releases

Post by Andreas Platt »

For those interested there have been 3 new releases from my favourite producer:

H&H Bast. 1927
H&H S 1928
H&H V 1932

https://henriquesehenriques.pt/en/bastardo-1927/

https://henriquesehenriques.pt/en/sercial-1928/

https://henriquesehenriques.pt/en/verdelho-1932/

I can't manage to find any of these wines @ distributors, also RWC seems to not have these.

Cheers
Andreas Platt

Re: H&H new releases

Post by Andreas Platt »

Just returned from Madeira.

Prices for those recent releases were increased by almost 80% - that is eighty percent; I am perplexed. Does the market justify this?

Well, let's see. I actually wanted to purchase the Ba1927 and the S1929, but as mentioned WANTED until I saw the new price list.

Reservas are now north of 4k.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andreas Platt wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:38 pm Just returned from Madeira.

Prices for those recent releases were increased by almost 80% - that is eighty percent; I am perplexed. Does the market justify this?

Well, let's see. I actually wanted to purchase the Ba1927 and the S1929, but as mentioned WANTED until I saw the new price list.

Reservas are now north of 4k.
While it is certainly sad for us, I would have to say that yes the prices are justified. These are extremely rare wines that need to last for generations. We're just spoiled by - as recently as 10-15 years ago - being able to buy 1875 Madeiras for sub-$300. That was crazy and unsustainable. I just hope that the families still have some stocks of those ancient Madeiras to pass on to the next generation!
Glenn Elliott
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Glenn E. wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:05 am I just hope that the families still have some stocks of those ancient Madeiras to pass on to the next generation!
Glenn,

I understand what you mean, but please keep in mind that those families are nowadays companies and the romantic "families" era is by far gone.

And - they also want their profit's share, which is OK.

But: +80% within 4 months...
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Andreas Platt wrote:
Glenn E. wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:05 am I just hope that the families still have some stocks of those ancient Madeiras to pass on to the next generation!
Glenn,

I understand what you mean, but please keep in mind that those families are nowadays companies and the romantic "families" era is by far gone.

Noval/Romaniera has basically done the same. Noval’s 2000 Colheita is $130 here. That’s insane for a 20 yr old tawny. But as long as people keep buying, they’ll sell for those prices.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:17 am
Andreas Platt wrote:
Glenn,

Noval/Romaniera has basically done the same. Noval’s 2000 Colheita is $130 here. That’s insane for a 20 yr old tawny. But as long as people keep buying, they’ll sell for those prices.
I remember when the Noval 40 Year Old was $125 full retail. Producers are kind of suddenly realizing that they can't keep selling old tawnies at these prices because they can't just casually make more to meet demand. It takes decades to make more.

We - meaning Port and Madeira lovers - are just spoiled. What other top quality wine has been that inexpensive for a 40 year-old example in our lifetimes? Madeira and Port have been criminally undervalued ever since I've been aware of them. Now that awareness is creating demand, those prices are long gone and we'll have to live off of our cellars. The next generation is going to have to pay more realistic prices.

The 1875 D'Oliveiras Malvasia Family Reserve was 135 years old when I first tasted it... and you could easily find it for $300. People were complaining then that prices had shot up dramatically because they'd been able to buy it for $175 just a few years before. :lol: It's still one of the best Madeiras I've ever tasted. And honestly it's still underpriced at $1500 because now it's almost 150 years old!
Glenn Elliott