Taylor Terra Feita 1982 - what can you tell me?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Johannes Stadler

Taylor Terra Feita 1982 - what can you tell me?

Post by Johannes Stadler »

Hi everybody,

I just bought a bottle of Taylor Terra Feita 1982. I decided to buy a bottle of it first before going for a whole case.

Now for the questions - I thougt I'd open the bottle sometimes soon. How much decanting time yould you take? About 6 hours? Or even more?

Did anyone already taste it - if yes what were your opinions / what do you remember (I only found it once mentioned by Ronald)?

For a last thing - what do you think of the price of around 50$ or 34€?
Worth takeing? Too expensive? A bargain?
Greetings, Johannes Stadler
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

My aunt did buy one in 2005 at the Taylor's lodge and we did open it last year. I think it was 25 euros with a funnel. It is not a great wine but a pleasant experience with a FULLY mature port, somewhat complex and attractive but not long and profond.

I would not buy another bottle for this price.

On the decanting time, 2 hours before comsumption is what I'd do.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Johannes Stadler

Post by Johannes Stadler »

Hmm okay,

thanks at first. I'm quite astonished about that price because wine searcher only shows it at more than the shop i found it.

About the taste - I'll know more and let you know as soon as I tried it.

With fully mature du you just mean that it won't improve anymore or would you drink taht up right now? Because I remember to have read something about "will go on for another 20 years".
And also this
"Quinta de Terra Feita Vintage Port von Taylor war 2007 ein sehr kraftvoller, jugendlicher Port mit wunderbarer, süßer Frucht und Marzipan ohne Ende – 94/100." from wineterminator - roughly translated means
"Quinta de Terra Feita Vintage Port from Taylor was a very sweet power- and youthful Port in 2007 with a lot of sweet fruit and tons of Almond (paste) / marchpane – 94/100."

Well if anyone knows anything else - let me know ;). I still search some nice 1982 stuff from by birthyear which is not unaffordable and will keep it's shape for quite a while.
Greetings, Johannes Stadler
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Quite an enjoyable port, I posted a TN here.

€34 doesn't seem too bad, but it's not really a bargain. If you can find, for instance, Vargellas 1987 for more or less the same, that would be a bargain.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I did not drink the same bottle as Ronald for sure! I hope I got a defective bottle, because yes I would say that there was not much fruit left in the one I got and that it was better drinking it sooner than later.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company