Going halvsies or thirdsies on an Auction bid?

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mark L

Going halvsies or thirdsies on an Auction bid?

Post by Mark L »

So as some of you may have seen, Christie's is having an online auction for 60 bottles of 1954 Justino's Henriques Verdelho... and separately 72 bottles, 108 bottles, and three lots of 120 bottles each of of 1964 Justino's Henriques Boal... all in their own lots.

Anyone fancy splitting a bid with me? Or two people that we can divide in thirds? All those numbers are divisible by 4, as well, come to think of it.

It's located in LA, so pick up from LA is easy (and free) for me since I live here. Preferably, people are able to be in LA to divide up any winnings.

I will admit that I've never shared a bid before (is it a big No-No?) But then again, I've never considered bidding on this many bottles in a single lot. I'm not sure how we'd all agree on a highest bid, although I'm not sure I'm willing to go very high anyway?

PM me if interested!
Cheers,
Mark
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Going halvsies or thirdsies on an Auction bid?

Post by Glenn E. »

Good lord that's a lot of Madeira!

I would love to get a couple of bottles of the 1964 Boal, but I certainly don't need even 40. Boal isn't usually my thing, but for a birth-year bottle I'll stretch my preferences a little bit. :lol: So if someone does get one of those lots and would like to unload a couple of bottles, I'll happily help you out!

(Boal is generally too dry for me. Let's not even talk about Verdelho and Sercial!)

BTW joint/group bids are perfectly legal. Collusion is not - i.e. "I won't bid so that you can get this lot at a lower price."
Glenn Elliott
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

We will keep you posted, Glenn! And thanks for the clarification!
Matt K

Post by Matt K »

I logged in today to see if one of you folks bought the 660 bottles of 1964.
mmmMadeira
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Christie's has some more larger lots coming up, again. Presumably the same source. Also more 1964 for anyone who missed out the last time.

Anyone want to join me in a splitting some bids?

Please let me know!
Cheers
Mark
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Mark L wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:32 am Christie's has some more larger lots coming up, again. Presumably the same source. Also more 1964 for anyone who missed out the last time.

Anyone want to join me in a splitting some bids?

Please let me know!
Cheers
Mark
I'd be willing to kick in $200 to $300 max, but that's as far as I'd go right now. The bigger issue is how to get them from CA to NJ, although my son does live in Santa Monica.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

For well priced Madeira I would be into it for $200-400. Shipping isn't much.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Mark L wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:32 am Christie's has some more larger lots coming up, again. Presumably the same source. Also more 1964 for anyone who missed out the last time.
Which auction is this? Can you provide a link?

I've bought from Christie's in the past, in NYC based auctions. Shipping wasn't cheap, but feasible. For California things are more complicated as you have to use a third party shipper. Possible, but I haven't done that yet.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:39 am
Which auction is this? Can you provide a link?

I've bought from Christie's in the past, in NYC based auctions. Shipping wasn't cheap, but feasible. For California things are more complicated as you have to use a third party shipper. Possible, but I haven't done that yet.
Hopefully this link works...

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/fine ... es=5074290
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes