Bonham Skinner Gov't ID requirement,

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Bonham Skinner Gov't ID requirement,

Post by Mike J. W. »

I won an auction lot from Bonham Skinner last week. I went to pay via credit card and they informed me I could only do that if I first uploaded a government ID. I don't like them having that much information because if they were hacked, they'd have my credit card info AND my full driver's license info. That's too much info in one company's hands and besides, there's no reason they need that. I could just show them my license when I stop by to pick it up. I got a bunch of corporate speak saying it was required because they deal with both US and UK and I informed them that it is not a US requirement and I have also bought from UK auctions and it wasn't a requirement. They finally put me through to Accounting and I gave them my credit card info and paid my invoice that way. They said they do not retain the info I gave them over the phone (which by US law, they are not allowed to keep, so that was the correct answer).

So now I just an email saying if I want to pick up my purchase I have to upload a government ID. I wrote back and informed them I will not be providing that info in advance and will be happy to show them my license as proof that it's me when I pick it up. I've asked them to confirm that this will not be an issue when I call to set an appointment for pick up. We'll see.

My question to the board is has anyone else run into this issue of being required to upload a government ID to either pay via credit card or in order to simply arrange a pick up? This is the first time I've run across this and frankly I'm gobsmacked at this "requirement".
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Bonham Skinner Gov't ID requirement,

Post by Glenn E. »

I have only seen it when having alcohol shipped to me from outside the US, and IIRC it has also only been when the wine being shipped was in bond. In that case the shipper needs your ID so that they have the records required to be able to do the importation. In my case that has usually been Seabrook Exports when I've been shipping stuff that I have in bond at Seckford Wines in London, but I could see an internet store asking for it as well if you were having them ship to you directly and somehow not paying local taxes/VAT on the purchase.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Thanks Glenn, that makes sense. I will however be picking it up myself so I don't see the need for them to have my ID in advance. I also don't see why they would need my ID for me to pay via credit card online either. It's information that they don't really require but have decided that they want.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Yeah if they're in the US they have zero need for a gov-issued ID to process payment.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Christies recently started doing this. I just uploaded my passport. This was to accept my credit card. I picked up the wine myself.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

If you want to fill out a form for me to pick them up, I can until you're able come by my house and get them. I live near by and know everyone at Lower Falls.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:03 am If you want to fill out a form for me to pick them up, I can until you're able come by my house and get them. I live near by and know everyone at Lower Falls.
Thanks for the kind offer, Moses. I'm either going to come up in the next few weeks or John M. or a family member of his will swing by because they're up on the Cape often. But thank you.

One update on the whole ID issue. Bonham's has now backed off of their request for automatically uploading a government ID. They now say it applies to anyone with purchases over $10,000, although that's not how their system works at the present time. It still tries to get you to upload an ID. But I've worked it out with their Customer Service department which was quite helpful.