Shipping from Christie's in LA?

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Shipping from Christie's in LA?

Post by Eric Menchen »

Has anyone not living in California purchased from an LA Christies's auction and had that shipped out-of-state?
Please note that Christie’s will only provide shipping services for this sale within the state of California. If you are not shipping within the state of CA, you may either collect your lots in person or arrange for your own licensed shipper.
They've got an auction ongoing now with some tempting bottles. I'm wondering how easy it is to arrange a third-party shipper, and what the cost might be. Here's something that looks fun:
https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/two- ... 496/179949
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Shipping from Christie's in LA?

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:18 pm Has anyone not living in California purchased from an LA Christies's auction and had that shipped out-of-state?
Please note that Christie’s will only provide shipping services for this sale within the state of California. If you are not shipping within the state of CA, you may either collect your lots in person or arrange for your own licensed shipper.
They've got an auction ongoing now with some tempting bottles. I'm wondering how easy it is to arrange a third-party shipper, and what the cost might be. Here's something that looks fun:
https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/two- ... 496/179949
I can put you in touch with my contact at ILS. I've used them several times, in particular for shipments from Rare Wine Company when they stopped shipping to Washington.

They are in the LA area (Rancho Dominguez) so you'll need to have Christies deliver to them, after which they'll pack (if necessary) and ship on to you.
Glenn Elliott
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Hey Eric

I noticed that Christie's estimate for those 1864 port bottles was.... juuuuust a bit outside.

Hope you were able to grab a couple things you were interested in!

I was secretly hoping the madeira market had cooled off a bit, but alas, not nearly enough.

Mark
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Mark L wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:10 am Hope you were able to grab a couple things you were interested in!
I was mostly interested in the 1968 Noval colheita and 1977 Smith Woodhouse VP, so about one case total. I got a quote to deal with shipping and there was a fixed cost that made one case not so inviting. If I had bought two or three cases it would have been worth it. I considered going in and getting some Madeira, but it sounds like that wouldn't have worked out so well. In some of the other realms (e.g. Bordeaux, Sauternes) it seemed like the best vintages were missing--the seller drank the good stuff! So nothing for me.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I was eyeing up some things in that auction as well, but the prices started getting a little silly.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Yev Nyden

Post by Yev Nyden »

I was trying to get 1963 Taylor but my a meeting at work that I could not miss made someone else a happy winner. :thumbsup: enjoy!