2021 Vintage Port declaration

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Paul C. Metman

2021 Vintage Port declaration

Post by Paul C. Metman »

On their Facebookpage, Wine & Soul announced the declaration of their Pintas Vimtage Port 2021.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 2021 Vintage Port declaration

Post by Andy Velebil »

Grahams Stone Terrace as well. And possible the usual SQVP’s from the Sym’s as well??
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:22 pm Grahams Stone Terrace as well. And possible the usual SQVP’s from the Sym’s as well??
Rune posted this in a Danish Facebook group. I'm not sure where he got the information, as I haven't seen it elsewhere.

There will be 5 SQVPs from Symington Family Estates:

Cockburn's Quinta dos Canais
Dow's Quinta do Bomfim
Dow's Quinta da Senora da Ribeira
Graham's Quinta dos Malvedos
Warre's Quinta da Cavadinha

There will be no Quinta do Vesuvio (again) because they have not yet re-started in-person foot treading due to the pandemic. And there has been no word on any other super-cuvee other than GST.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:41 pm There will be no Quinta do Vesuvio (again) because they have not yet re-started in-person foot treading due to the pandemic. And there has been no word on any other super-cuvee other than GST.
Have those grapes been going into other Symington wines, or might we see a crusted some day soon?
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:04 pm
Glenn E. wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:41 pm There will be no Quinta do Vesuvio (again) because they have not yet re-started in-person foot treading due to the pandemic. And there has been no word on any other super-cuvee other than GST.
Have those grapes been going into other Symington wines, or might we see a crusted some day soon?
I think that I heard that they've been using them in other Symington Ports. For them to be used in a Vesuvio Crusted, I would assume that they still would have had to have been foot-trodded at Vesuvio which of course didn't happen.

For 2021 they are only releasing SQVPs (plus GST, which is even more restrictive) so the Vesuvio grapes can't be used in any of those. Which means I would guess that they are probably being used in LBVs for one of their brands?

That said, I think they only hold to foot trodding for VPs, so maybe they took the grapes elsewhere for vinification, then brought them back to Vesuvio and stored the Port in wood to release at some future time as a Colheita!

Hey, a man can dream...
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:46 pm That said, I think they only hold to foot trodding for VPs, so maybe they took the grapes elsewhere for vinification, then brought them back to Vesuvio and stored the Port in wood to release at some future time as a Colheita!

Hey, a man can dream...
Sounds good to me. [cheers.gif]
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Sad about the Covid and Vesuvio. 2021 is the birth year of my daughter and Vesuvio is my favorite house. My son had better luck with 2018.

Well gotta go Noval atleast for the 1 x case. The second is still up in the air. (I wont buy SQVP. And yes I don't view Vesuvio as a SQVP like Malvedos etc.)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Add to the list of just declared 2021 VPs:

Quinta do Noval
Quinta do Noval Nacional
Quinta do Passadouro

I have begun to "fetch" bottles of the 2021s to do a broad blind horizontal tasting this year. I had been able to get some 2020s to try sporadically, but with going through a divorce and move overseas, 2020 never materialized on a large scale for me. Just too many things going on, not to mention five tours after arriving here in June ... so unfortunately, I missed that vintage. Oh well. [dash1.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

Yesterday I was in Amsterdam for the Vintage Port Day, from the Symington Family. Great event! And we got to taste a vertical of Stone Terraces, including the 2021. The tropical fruit aroma was realy special, and the overal quality was amazing.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm jealous! I haven't even seen any listings for it yet.
Glenn Elliott
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

I am starting to figure out what to buy for my daughter as it seems to be slim pickings from 2021. Are there any more producers with a 2021 VP not on this list? I do prefer full blown VP's.

Added
Quevedo
Quinta de São Luiz from Kopke (12,133 bottles, 600 magnums)
Quinta do Arnozelo from Burmester (8,830 bottles, 250 magnums)
Quinta do Vale Meão

Original
Stone Terraces from Graham's
Quinta da Cavadinha from Warre's (later release)
Quinta da Senora da Ribeira from Dow's (later release)
Quinta do Bomfim from Dow's (A bit released en primeur, Danish import reports only 960 bottles world wide)
Quinta do Noval
Quinta do Noval Nacional
Quinta do Passadouro
Quinta dos Canais from Cockburn's
Quinta dos Malvedos from Graham's (later release)
Wine & Soul
Paul C. Metman

Post by Paul C. Metman »

Thomas V wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:51 am I am starting to figure out what to buy for my daughter as it seems to be slim pickings from 2021. Are there any more producers with a 2021 VP not on this list? I do prefer full blown VP's.

Added
Quevedo
Quinta de São Luiz from Kopke (12,133 bottles, 600 magnums)
Quinta do Arnozelo from Burmester (8,830 bottles, 250 magnums)
Quinta do Vale Meão

Original
Stone Terraces from Graham's
Quinta da Cavadinha from Warre's (later release)
Quinta da Senora da Ribeira from Dow's (later release)
Quinta do Bomfim from Dow's (A bit released en primeur, Danish import reports only 960 bottles world wide)
Quinta do Noval
Quinta do Noval Nacional
Quinta do Passadouro
Quinta dos Canais from Cockburn's
Quinta dos Malvedos from Graham's (later release)
Wine & Soul
No full blown VP's but Churchill's Quinta da Gricha and Quinta da Romaneira were also declared!
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Paul C. Metman wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:12 pm
No full blown VP's but Churchill's Quinta da Gricha and Quinta da Romaneira were also declared!
Thanks for the headsup.

I consider Romaenira full blown as the likes of Quinta do Noval and Quinta do Vesuvio.

My son who was born in 2018 has a case of Romaneira and Vesuvio as it happens [cheers.gif]

Can't find the Romaneira for sale anywhere just yet. But the Bomfim is for sale in Denmark at $40 a piece. The Noval is close to $100 and the Meao is $60.

I wonder if Crasto did a 2021.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thomas V wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:16 pm I wonder if Crasto did a 2021.
I've found nothing to indicate they did.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Eric Menchen wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:57 am
Thomas V wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:16 pm I wonder if Crasto did a 2021.
I've found nothing to indicate they did.
Neither have I. Ohh well, 2021 is a great year for Riesling and I pray it was for Champagne as well.
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

I don't know anything about good Riesling, but I'd like to. Is it pop n pour or should one look for 2021s and save them for X many years?
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Scheiny S wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:50 am I don't know anything about good Riesling, but I'd like to. Is it pop n pour or should one look for 2021s and save them for X many years?
If you buy top notch dry riesling like a Grosses Gewächs aka GG (German for Grand Cru) you should probably sit on it for 3-4 years before opening the first one. They can be pretty dry initially cause of the innate high acidity.

If you bought some sweeter style riesling like Feinherb, Kabinett, Spätlese or Auslese you can for sure drink them from the get go, but they will only improve with age. But I do enjoy young off dry riesling when they are just released. They have a little bit of CO2 and that combined with the high acidity and residual sugar is just to die for.

Try one of these to name a few.

Robert Weil
Dönnhoff
Markus Molitor
Dr. Loosen
Fritz Haag
Schloss-Lieser
Martin Müllen
Egon Müller
Von Winning
Dr. Hermann
Schaeffer Frölich