Offline in Los Angeles Area -- 2023 version

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Marc R

Re: Offline in Los Angeles Area -- 2023 version

Post by Marc R »

I’m putting it in my calendar, as well. It would be great to see everyone, and to enjoy more delicious wine.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Can't make that weekend. Sorry.
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

I have also put it in my calendar for that weekend!

I presume most of any kind of way-advance planning would be a) who is attending and b) securing a venue. Other details could get sorted out closer to the date, presumably?

@Eric, I'm bummed you are busy that weekend. Hope things change such that you will be able to join in!

@Glenn / Andy, is there an easy mechanism for people to sign up or express interest other than posting a reply in this forum and having to tabulate it later?

Cheers,
Mark
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mark L wrote:I have also put it in my calendar for that weekend!

I presume most of any kind of way-advance planning would be a) who is attending and b) securing a venue. Other details could get sorted out closer to the date, presumably?

@Eric, I'm bummed you are busy that weekend. Hope things change such that you will be able to join in!

@Glenn / Andy, is there an easy mechanism for people to sign up or express interest other than posting a reply in this forum and having to tabulate it later?

Cheers,
Mark
Not really. Usually the thread Op keeps a running list of who’s coming, how many spots are open and who’s on the waiting list in the first post.

I’d suggest setting a max number of folks, say 10-12, first then go from there.

I could potentially set up a venue at my country club as they have lots of Reidel port glasses from other port events I’ve done there. but it’s toward the eastern part of LA county and not near downtown or the west side. So probably isn’t geographically desirable for many wanting to attend. But up to all of you.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Tough to tell how many commitments there are, but if there’s room for one more, I’d love to come to town! It’s been too long since I’ve seen most of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Mark L wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:07 pm Perhaps we can do a two-day event, Sat and Sun. OCT 27, 28, 2023.

Saturday would be an organized event that, perhaps, is something more approachable to more people and also something that those going to the big port event in Beverly Hills on that same day would be less interested in anyway. So there is not much conflict, in that they will not be "missing out," yet we could still take advantage of all the comeraderie by virtue of the fact that they are in town on Sunday.

Sunday, we can do a special event that everyone would be interested in, and something in particular that would be appealing and special enough to be traveling from afar to attend.
I need to start planning to make this trip if this tasting is going to happen. I don't need plane tickets yet, but do need to start re-arranging work and getting people to cover for me if I'm going to be gone.

Is this going to happen?
Glenn Elliott
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Thanks for lighting the fire, Glenn!
I would love for this to happen.

I have participated in events like this (for madeira) including having traveled from afar to attend one. But I have never organized one.

That said, I would be happy to be an apprentice or assistant or helper to someone who has done this before and who knows both what to do and what NOT to do. I live in Westlake Village (a lovely area a bit further west from the main part of LA and Beverly Hills).
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Regarding attendance for Oct 28-29...
So far those who have expressed interest and participated in this thread (in no particular order):

Mark L
Glenn E
Eric M
Mike JW
Randy K (Sunday only)
Roy H (Sunday only)
Andy V
Bradley B
David S
Marc J
Lucas S
Marc R

Eric Ifune cannot attend Oct 28-29. 😞

That looks like 10 for Saturday and 12 for Sunday so far....

Am I missing anyone? Perhaps Steve P, who participated in the thread before we separated it out?

I suppose getting confirmations (even if only tentative) from the above are in order....
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I'll confirm.

If Andy is able and willing, he has experience organizing this kind of thing. It needn't be complicated or difficult to set up - the fun of these gatherings is getting together with other FTLOP members. We don't really care about the venue, etc. Let's just get together and drink some Port!

Organizing in this thread works great. I recommend using the first post to track attendees (and any bottles they are bringing) as that's easier to find for everyone that some random post in the middle of the thread. If you are unable to edit that post let me know and I'll do it for you. (I'd do it right now but I have a meeting in 2 min.)
Glenn Elliott
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

I will not confirm at this juncture. In part, because I would prefer to know the Ports we will be drinking for such a long trip.

The flights have gotten even cheaper wow. I found a $138 round trip from Newark on Oct 27-30, that sure is tempting.

As far as what I can bring, it's all in my posts in the "what have you purchased" thread. My top picks to bring that I have and have enjoyed, would be the 00 Ferreira and 95 Vesuvio. But I could certainly bring some 85 Crasto, 97 RP, or even the newer stuff like 2016 SW if we can settle on some themes for the various tastings. I have a 97 Fonseca magnum as well, which I'd be happy to bring if we get a big crowd to do all magnums.

I also agree that the venue doesn't matter much, but I think the idea of drinking at or near the hotel would be wise, for obvious reasons. I don't know if any of you that are locals have a good place in mind.
All is fair in love and Warre's
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Well, perhaps to kick things off, I'm not sure what we may decide for Saturday 's flights.... these are to be a bit more accessible, right? Perhaps with more of a meal / food to go with everything?

For Sunday's event, I was thinking perhaps I could bring a 1937 Burmester Colheita?

You know, I also have a bottle of "unknown" port that was carbon dated likely from the mid1800s. I think this sounds like a good group to pop that with!!!! (At both our own whimsy and peril)

How do we handle bottle shock for those who are traveling?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I could help organize but the limit of my “pull” restaurant wise is at my country club. However it’s about 25 miles east of downtown LA. About 40 miles east from Beverly Hills. Los Angeles county is a big county. If that’s ok with people I’ll start looking into it. It would be a private room and either a custom menu or if people want a cheaper option the “all day menu” which is good and not expensive but not flashy. Then again, food is a distant second to Port. The plus side is either no corkage or at most $10/bottle (they rarely charge for all bottles for an event like this and I usually share a small taste of things with server/beverage director, which helps).

Just let me know how you want me to proceed.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I will probably fly in Friday evening just to make things simpler. It's a short (ish) flight down from Seattle, so I'll just get it out of the way, get checked in, and then be ready whenever on Saturday. I can be available to help set up, etc., too.

Which means I'll probably fly home on Monday and just take a day of vacation to do it. That way there won't be any rush on that end either. Party until all hours of the night Sunday night! [yahoo.gif] (Those who know me are already laughing.)

I will likely bring a tawny and a ruby which can slot in however the group wants. If we end up with some sub-themes I can work with those to find something, but for a first draft I'll probably bring a 1937 Kopke as the tawny (a DR L70 is an option) and maybe a 1955 Gould Campbell VP as the ruby. IIRC I also have a 1945 Dow as an option.

Or I could bring a Madeira as one of my bottles instead if that's desired.

Honestly, it probably too late to avoid travel shock for those travelling. I used to think that a bottle would settle back down after a month or so, but my most recent experiences lead me to believe that's not the case. I've been told that it can take 3-4 months. So I'll probably just bring my bottles with me.
Glenn Elliott
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Count me in! Depending on the what is needed, I could bring an older tawny to help fill out the lineup for one of the nights and possibly a nice VP for the other night.
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

That sounds good, Marc J!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Unfortunately, right now I am only 50-50. I have some personal situations that have to clear up before I can decide if I can make this. All of my wine with the exception of a handful of bottles just went into storage as well since I am moving. I might have a bottle of '63 VP available if it doesn't get consumed at a tasting next week (it's a back up bottle).
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Randy Katz

Post by Randy Katz »

The Port tasting event that was bringing some of us into town including Roy has been postponed till next year.
Sorry, I will not be there for the weekend.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

I'm still in for the 28th if it's happening
I would probably bring a Kopke 50 Year Old Tawny
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I’m still open to a gathering. But I understand it may be less people given the postponement of the other tasting.

If we proceed, I can most likely host at least one night at my country club (you’re responsible for food costs each). But I need to know soon so I can try to book us a private room.
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Hey Andy!

I think it would be great if you could look into a room at your country club for that weekend! Thank you!!

Cheers,
Mark