Offline in Los Angeles Area -- 2023 version

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mark L

Offline in Los Angeles Area -- 2023 version

Post by Mark L »

Attendees so far (confirmed) [contributing bottle]

Mark L (Yes) [1937 Burmester, unknown port?]
Glenn E (Yes) [1937 Kopke, "casual" bottle TBD]
Eric M
Mike JW (Maybe)
Randy K (No)
Roy H (No)
Andy V (Yes)
Bradley B (No)
David S (Yes) [Kopke 50]
Marc J (Yes) [tbd]
Lucas S (Maybe)
Marc R
Steve P (No)
Stewart T

Moderator's Note:
topic split from this thread to keep things organized.
I thought I'd (try to) resurrect this thread.... I can't believe it's been so long already... 8 years?!

Not sure how we'd want to reimagine this, but I figured I'd start, essentially, with a "bump"

Hope you are all well, and that we can get something going here in LA!

Glenn, Yev, Eric, you want to come in for something like this, too?

Cheers,
Mark
Last edited by Mark L on Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:31 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Offline in Los Angeles Area May 1, 2015 -- POSTPONED

Post by Glenn E. »

Yeah, I'm in if the date works!
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

yes, if the date works.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I can't do anything for the next several months, but maybe in the fall.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

If there's room for one more, I'd be interested depending upon when it is. My son lives in Santa Monica and I could possibly schedule it around a visit out to him.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Shall we separate the recent comments into a separate thread? Not sure if that is possible.

I'm up for picking a Saturday sometime in the Fall. I realize it seems far away... but the summer will fly by, and the advance planning would likely help those coming in either from Northern CA or other states.

Before or after Labor Day? Eric, you mentioned Fall, so probably after Labor Day?

Cheers,
Mark
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I have a very flexible schedule, so with enough advance notice I can probably make it work....
Glenn E.

Re: Offline in Los Angeles Area -- 2023 version

Post by Glenn E. »

Mark L wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:54 pm Shall we separate the recent comments into a separate thread? Not sure if that is possible.
Good idea... done!
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Mark L wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:54 pm Before or after Labor Day? Eric, you mentioned Fall, so probably after Labor Day?
After Labor Day, but I still might have a conflict. Obviously we can't schedule around one person, so I'll just cross my fingers. But before then, I have a few small things planned and an overwhelming work schedule.
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

Was thinking the other day that the late Sept-early Oct is the best time of year for cross-country meetups, because the flights get very cheap and the weather is still good.

For example, nonstop flights NYC to LA are ~$230 for a 4-day weekend in Sept-Oct, SEA to NYC is similar as well if we were to do that in a future year. A weekend like Sept 29-Oct 1 or Oct 6-8 with Columbus Day on Monday seem good options.

I could be interested in making the long flight but only if at least one of the Port lineups were of VPs that can be purchased in quantity for an affordable sum.

As much of a draw it could be to serve a last (again) bottle of 1927 Niepoort, it's not practical in terms of cost or for finding out which Ports we should be stocking up on. Unless we could get a winemaker to come to a rare event like that, I'd rather attend for example, a 1991-1999 "tournament of champions" where every participant chooses a favored VP (or underrated VP) and we do a blind tasting with them all side by side.

Just my two cents.
All is fair in love and Warre's
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Lucas S wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:16 pm As much of a draw it could be to serve a last (again) bottle of 1927 Niepoort, it's not practical in terms of cost or for finding out which Ports we should be stocking up on. Unless we could get a winemaker to come to a rare event like that, I'd rather attend for example, a 1991-1999 "tournament of champions" where every participant chooses a favored VP (or underrated VP) and we do a blind tasting with them all side by side.
I can certainly understand this viewpoint. At the same time, I'm thinking, why not both? If we make a weekend out of it, one day can be a blind tasting theme, another day could be the more eclectic bottles.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Lucas S wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:16 pm For example, nonstop flights NYC to LA are ~$230 for a 4-day weekend in Sept-Oct, SEA to NYC is similar as well if we were to do that in a future year. A weekend like Sept 29-Oct 1 or Oct 6-8 with Columbus Day on Monday seem good options.
Mid Sept and into the 1st week of Oct will likely conflict with this year's Port Harvest Tours, so keep that in mind. I probably won't be able to go on a PHT this year, but several of the "regulars" who would normally show up for this type of event might be.

And I'm with Eric on the theme... why not both? We could do something on Friday night that's more casual, then something big on Saturday, and leave Sunday for return trips.
Glenn Elliott
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

That's a good point Glenn, I forgot about the PHT. If you want to do the rare bottle route, the winemakers may well be enticed to come but that would have to be after their busy harvest season anyways. Perhaps later in October or even November, which for LA should be fine weather wise.
All is fair in love and Warre's
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

So I reached out to Roy, just to see if he had any existing travel plans to be in LA this fall, and indeed, tours keep him busy until Oct 28. Taking these dates in mind (not just for the possibility of Roy's joining us, but also for those who might be going on the tours), then Oct 28-29 would be the soonest we could try.

Apparently, there may be another port event happening the afternoon of the 28th in Beverly Hills, however... I'm not sure if and to what extent those attendees would overlap with our offline. Either way, I'm not sure if that means we should do it that weekend (to include people who are coming in from out of town anyway) or if we should try to do it a different weekend (people won't be able to do both).

Perhaps if someone has more insight on the event on Oct 28th (possibly as an attendee, or even if not) then they can share their thoughts!

(Don't ask me more about the event in BH; I've shared the wee little bit that I know!)

Cheers, and ultimately looking forward to it!
Mark

PS other than being a rallying cry, I don't have much experience organizing tastings (though I've participated in some), so I look forward to those with more experience in this realm to chime in soon!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Not sure of schedule atm, but I’d assume I could attend so far.

Email me once dates are set and then we can work on trying to get an industry guest, at least for the main even on a sat.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

I would certainly be interested!
Randy Katz

Post by Randy Katz »

My wife and I will be in for the 28th event. Likely will be 40+ ports and a big lunch, so that day won't likely work for out of towners including Roy to drink even more port that day. Maybe the Friday prior or Sunday after can attract some attendees from the event including Roy.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks Mark L.

It will be great to see you and the others that have already replied here. If we are choosing between the Friday or Sunday, I would definitely opt for Sunday, as those of us coming to LA for the other Port event, want to go to that with a clear head and palate if possible. I am also thinking of that Friday to arrive in the LA area, so after a long long day of flights/airports, I just can't see managing to stay awake for an event that night. Just my two cents. I'd be happy to attend, if this winds up on Sunday. But likely, go with the broadest attendance, would be the best way to go.

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Thanks Roy, and thanks for everyone's input thus far!

Perhaps we can do a two-day event, Sat and Sun. OCT 27, 28, 2023.

Saturday would be an organized event that, perhaps, is something more approachable to more people and also something that those going to the big port event in Beverly Hills on that same day would be less interested in anyway. So there is not much conflict, in that they will not be "missing out," yet we could still take advantage of all the comeraderie by virtue of the fact that they are in town on Sunday.

Sunday, we can do a special event that everyone would be interested in, and something in particular that would be appealing and special enough to be traveling from afar to attend.

My $0.02,
Mark
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Mark L wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:07 pm Perhaps we can do a two-day event, Sat and Sun. OCT 27, 28, 2023.

Saturday would be an organized event that, perhaps, is something more approachable to more people and also something that those going to the big port event in Beverly Hills on that same day would be less interested in anyway. So there is not much conflict, in that they will not be "missing out," yet we could still take advantage of all the comeraderie by virtue of the fact that they are in town on Sunday.

Sunday, we can do a special event that everyone would be interested in, and something in particular that would be appealing and special enough to be traveling from afar to attend.
Sounds like a great plan to me! I've blocked it out on my calendar just to reserve the weekend. :-)
Glenn Elliott