20 Year+ Tawnies Recap

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

20 Year+ Tawnies Recap

Post by John M. »

NJ Port Club met last night. We had 6 tawnies, 4 were 20 year olds with two Colheitas, both over 20 years. We recently acquired these from local B&M stores for $290 all in. 12 participants. Overall, a strong set.

Warres Otima 20 Year Old
: Light burnt rust orange. Big nose of high-end butterscotch and cashews & walnuts. Flavor profile also big with orange and a light praline & marzipan. Yet finishes just a little delicate, yet tart and crisp. Very interesting what goes on here; while I've seen it for years in stores, somehow I've never had it--must fix that! WOTN by me and the group.

93 Points

2000 Quinta do Crasto Colheita:
Darker red brown. Tight nose--plum and a hint of sweet dark raisins and dried raspberry. Fruit forward, Piquant finish. Easy to pick out as a colheita. Overall okay but not seeking out either.

90 Points

Maynard's 20 Year Old
: Toasted almonds & other nuts on the nose--quite intriguing. Moderate light brown color. The taste is brassy and unrefined (more like a colheita). Flavor gives up a low quality butterscotch, tart finish. My least favorite of the night.

87 Points

1992 Pocas Colheita[/b]: Moderate light brown color. Weak off-putting nose--eked out vanilla but not inviting. The taste overcomes the nose with sweet tangerine over hazelnuts with just a hunt of cooked cherries. If not for the nose would have scored another point or two higher.

91 Points

Feuerheerds 20 Year Tawny
: A brand I've not been keen on. Muted nose. Cherry vanilla with caramel with walnut paste on the finish. Just a tad too sweet but overall a solid port. Pleasantly surprised given prior brand experiences.

92 Points

Dalva 20 Year Tawny:
Alright. Orange zest on nut paste-tart up front. Smooth and refined, yet a little blah with an unremarkable finish; just does not seem complex.

89 Points
Any Port in a storm!
Al B.

Re: 20 Year+ Tawnies Recap

Post by Al B. »

That’s a lovely line up. I’d enjoy drinking any of those - but I’d probably only get to drink half of the bottle since colheita / 20YO is my better half’s sweet spot.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Excellent recap. I'm glad to see the Otima doing so well. Earlier on in it's life I wasn't a big fan of it, as it was on the weaker side of the classification. Based on your note, I'll have to pick one up next time I run across it...though I'm still not a fan of the 500ml size (soapbox...LOL).

Did the Crasto have a large new oak flavor? I've not had the 2000, the last being 1997 IIRC, and I recall it being very oaky...like what one gets from a wine aged in new oak barrels where the barrel has imparted too much of a good thing into the wine.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

I'll be picking up another bottle of the Otima to try it again because I had the same thoughts on it that Andy described.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:20 amI'm glad to see the Otima doing so well. ...though I'm still not a fan of the 500ml size (soapbox...LOL).
My issue with that was that when they switched, the price didn't change and Otima then seemed overpriced compared to the other tawnies in 750.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Just a follow up. On Sunday I sampled the leftover Otima and Feuerheerds---the Otima was not quite as good--just OK-- but still had a big nose. Tasted a little light. The Feuerheerds held up nicely and was more robust and interesting.

I'm going to grab another as well. Maybe we can all taste in the next couple weeks and share our notes.
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I might have to pick up an Otima 20 just to try it again. Like others, in the past I haven't found it compelling. Both for the QPR and just its overall performance. I found it a bit light/weak but also a bit hot compared to other offerings.

The problem is that I don't drink a lot of 20 year old anymore. We have regular enough tastings with the Sammamish Port Club being monthly now that I usually have sufficient leftovers lying around to keep me satisfied for a week or two. And if I'm only going to open 1 bottle per month for myself, why not make that a 30 or 40?

I was talking about Port with someone at a barbecue competition this weekend, and when I revealed that I had ~800 bottles they asked if I was going to be able to drink all of that in my lifetime. After a moment's reflection, I had to truthfully answer probably not. I only go through about 2 bottles a month even including tastings, so that's 400 months. And while I might live to be 92 years old it's probably not a safe bet! :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:03 pm

I was talking about Port with someone at a barbecue competition this weekend, and when I revealed that I had ~800 bottles they asked if I was going to be able to drink all of that in my lifetime. After a moment's reflection, I had to truthfully answer probably not. I only go through about 2 bottles a month even including tastings, so that's 400 months. And while I might live to be 92 years old it's probably not a safe bet! :lol:
2 a month? By god man, open more. :winebath:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Checked at my big local b&m and they didn't have the Otima 20, just the 10. Need to do a little research.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:57 am

If I drank a bottle a week until I'm 92 I still won't get through mine. At that point it will be my kids problem. :lol:
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Mike J. W. wrote:

I was talking about Port with someone at a barbecue competition this weekend, and when I revealed that I had ~800 bottles they asked if I was going to be able to drink all of that in my lifetime. After a moment's reflection, I had to truthfully answer probably not. I only go through about 2 bottles a month even including tastings, so that's 400 months. And while I might live to be 92 years old it's probably not a safe bet! Image
If I drank a bottle a week until I'm 92 I still won't get through mine. At that point it will be my kids problem. Image
Good lord, how many bottles do you have?!? I thought I had a lot of Port!
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Glenn E. wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:16 pm
Mike J. W. wrote:

If I drank a bottle a week until I'm 92 I still won't get through mine. At that point it will be my kids problem. Image
Well I'll be 66 in November, so 92 would be 26 years away. As I said, I have more than that. Maybe if I live to 95? lol
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:
Glenn E. wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:16 pm
Mike J. W. wrote: If I drank a bottle a week until I'm 92 I still won't get through mine. At that point it will be my kids problem. Image
Well I'll be 66 in November, so 92 would be 26 years away. As I said, I have more than that. Maybe if I live to 95? lol
Lol. I have no kids. But I do have a very young nephew, who I hope ends up liking port. He likes the “finger dips” he’s allowed on a rare occasion. Otherwise, I’ll be hosting a lot of gatherings for us, by then, old Geezers to drink up what I have.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Mike J. W. wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:57 pm Well I'll be 66 in November, so 92 would be 26 years away. As I said, I have more than that. Maybe if I live to 95? lol
I would not have guessed that you were older than me - you carry it well! :lol:

Andy - same boat. I have a nephew who has shown some interest in Port, but he doesn't seem to love it like we do. I also have a couple of nieces, but neither of them seem interested. Guess I better drink faster! [yahoo.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:40 pm Otherwise, I’ll be hosting a lot of gatherings for us, by then, old Geezers to drink up what I have.
But I'll have to bring my bottles to drink up as well. And Glenn his ... We may have to invite a few friends without deep cellars.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:57 am
Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:40 pm Otherwise, I’ll be hosting a lot of gatherings for us, by then, old Geezers to drink up what I have.
But I'll have to bring my bottles to drink up as well. And Glenn his ... We may have to invite a few friends without deep cellars.
OK [cheers.gif]
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

I have... let me see... five bottles I'm cellaring. I try to keep stocked on cellar defenders for a reason! During pumpkin beer season, my Ports are mostly safe, anyway.