1985 Smith Woodhouse Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Stewart T.

1985 Smith Woodhouse Vintage Port

Post by Stewart T. »

• 1985 Smith Woodhouse Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto
    Amber brown in color with fine wisps of sediment in the bottom of the glass. Some spice, woody notes and some red fruit notes. Balanced red fruit with notable acidity on the mid-palette. Medium long finish. (90 pts.) (2/18/2023)
This tasting note is one of several related tasting notes. Click [here] to see the original note in context.
Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1985 Smith Woodhouse Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

I assume not a good bottle? This is usually very dark and primary still.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Stewart T.

Post by Stewart T. »

My last two times with this wine haven’t been what I normally expect in terms of scores or quality. I am starting to wonder if some of the 1985s are starting tip over the edge of the long plateau they have been on. Certainly some producers are exceptions, but I have had more misses in recent tastings of 1985s than I would have expected. Could also be a run of bad luck with slightly off bottles.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Stewart T. wrote:My last two times with this wine haven’t been what I normally expect in terms of scores or quality. I am starting to wonder if some of the 1985s are starting tip over the edge of the long plateau they have been on. Certainly some producers are exceptions, but I have had more misses in recent tastings of 1985s than I would have expected. Could also be a run of bad luck with slightly off bottles.
Do you think they’ve gone into an awkward stage? Much like the 1960’s and ‘63’s did some
Years ago?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Stewart T.

Post by Stewart T. »

That is entirely possible. I hope that was the case with this one because I am generally a big fan of the SW 85 (and GC 85)
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Stewart T. wrote:That is entirely possible. I hope that was the case with this one because I am generally a big fan of the SW 85 (and GC 85)
Though I do recall early this year we did a flight of GC in the 80’s and IIRC the 1985 was the most advanced of the trio, even though it was the youngest in age.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Stewart T. wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:32 pm That is entirely possible. I hope that was the case with this one because I am generally a big fan of the SW 85 (and GC 85)
I am generally a big fan of the SW 85 as well. Mine are dark and still tannic... but need a long decant.