1980 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

1980 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

Post by Mike J. W. »

Decanted 9 1/2 hours. The cork came out in two pieces as it was fully 3/4 saturated. In the glass it was a dark reddish-purple with about 80% opacity. It's amazing how dark a 44 year-old Vintage Port can be. There's a spirity smell on the nose, but a sip shows it to be fully mature and integrated. A melange of sweet, dark blue fruits (primarily blackberries and blueberries) combined with strong tannins contribute to the long, silky smooth finish. This is a delicious Port which was at it's best on Day 2, yet here it is Day 4 and it's still drinking nicely albeit not as nicely as Day 2. 93 points
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: 1980 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

Post by Glenn E. »

One of the best VPs from the vintage!
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:52 am One of the best VPs from the vintage!
Dow and Warres are excellent too. A vintage where the second tier (or third ...) names outshine the usual first.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:51 pm
Glenn E. wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:52 am One of the best VPs from the vintage!
Dow and Warres are excellent too. A vintage where the second tier (or third ...) names outshine the usual first.
I haven't tried the Warre's '80 yet, but I've had the Dow '80. In my opinion, the Dow is the top '80 with the GC not too far behind. The Graham's is pretty good as well, but a step below the first two mentioned above. I have a few bottles of the Warre's 80, so I'll have to try one soon.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1980 is pretty solid vintage with a lots of deals if you can find them. Taylor, Ramos, Sandeman, and Ferreira (among others) are all terrific ports. Yes, 83 + 85 may be a little better, but I would not pass on any 80 vintages I had an opportunity to pick up.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Don't sleep on the Smith Woodhouse 1980. That is very good also. I would actually have it a bit above the Gould Campbell.