TN: 2006 Quinta do Crasto Touriga Nacional Douro

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2006 Quinta do Crasto Touriga Nacional Douro

Post by Andy Velebil »

2006 Quinta do Crasto Touriga Nacional. Last note was ~9 yrs ago. This has become very pruney and linear with age. In 2015 I said give it a few more years. I perhaps gave it too many. Not to be too harsh, it was a nice bottle. But not what it once was. I’d say drink sooner than later if you have any. 89/100
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: TN: 2006 Quinta do Crasto Touriga Nacional Douro

Post by Moses Botbol »

Haven't had so many Douro wines that are great at 20ish year mark. This Crasto I would've thought would be one to make it. Niepoort has a few.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've come to the conclusion that, with some exceptions, most single varietal wines from the Douro don't make great old wines. Then again, that probably applies to most wine regions of the world as well.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 am I've come to the conclusion that, with some exceptions, most single varietal wines from the Douro don't make great old wines. Then again, that probably applies to most wine regions of the world as well.
My sweet spot is around 10-15 years for most Portuguese wines. Bairrada & Dao I have better luck with going older.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 am I've come to the conclusion that, with some exceptions, most single varietal wines from the Douro don't make great old wines. Then again, that probably applies to most wine regions of the world as well.
So you're saying that I should be opening these '05 Crasto TNs that I have? :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
So you're saying that I should be opening these '05 Crasto TNs that I have? :lol:
Yes, most likely.
Randy Katz

Post by Randy Katz »

But, the 2004 did not seem ready a few years ago.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Randy Katz wrote:But, the 2004 did not seem ready a few years ago.
2004 was a better overall year than 2006. Though, Not as good as 2005 ended up being for Douro dry wines. But if one tastes a field blend, such as Ponte or Maria Teresa, against a TN, it’s very apparent which has better complexity and depth over time.