how to travel in the duoro region?

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Nikolaj Winther

how to travel in the duoro region?

Post by Nikolaj Winther »

I'm pondering going on a "port-vacation" with my brother early this spring.

I've looked at some travel agencies here in Denmark and there's one specializing in portugal.

They can taylor-make my trip for me and have an interesting suggestion for a 10 day trip. It goes something like this:

2 days in Porto sampling port houses and sail up the river to Regua - veteran-train back.
then
3 days on a (unspecified) vineyard in the Duoro valley
then
4 days in an old manor house (estate?) in one of Portugals most beautiful towns (and perhaps a trip to Spain to see the rocky coast of Galicia).

There's no tour-guide and we drive by car to whatever we want experience.

I'm worried about the language and how to approach the local population (especially the port producers). I have exellent command of the english language - but I don't speak any latin based languages. What's the standard in Portugal?

And what wineries, growers etc. should I visit if I go - and should I make agreements in advance, what's the typical price for touring/tasting etc.?

Can anyone give me any pointers like "don't go by yourself" or "get a guide from such and such".

Much appreciated.

- Nikolaj
What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

There are many tour companies that offer itineraries to Portugal. located all over the globe. I'd be happy to provide you with more details for your trip, however, I'd also like to suggest that you consider joining Mario and me on our Fortification Tour this coming May (or if you want the a more focused Port itinerary, come along in late September this year for the 2008 Port Harvest Tour and get to experience the Port region with aspects of your trip that can not be matched).
I'm worried about the language and how to approach the local population (especially the port producers). I have exellent command of the english language - but I don't speak any latin based languages. What's the standard in Portugal?
If you don't speak Portuguese, which is certainly no requirement, English has worked at all properties I have visited with only a couple of exceptions. But with your command of English you will be fine in the Douro. Once you leave the Port Shippers, finding folks in the Douro that speak English can occasionally present challenges and then you hope you can understand each other with hand gestures. Beyond English and Portuguese, Spanish is usually understood by most, while you can find others who might speak French and more rarely, Italian. Again, 85% of the time you will be good with just English.
And what wineries, growers etc. should I visit if I go - and should I make agreements in advance, what's the typical price for touring/tasting etc.?
Here is where we excel at helping our guests. You need not make any arrangements ahead of time, as we bring folks to many top named well known and traditional shippers as well as some of the great and smaller new producers of Single Quinta Ports and DOC Douro wines. You will have the opportunity to meet, hang out with and dine with the winemakers and owners during our trips. This just is not possible with the type of tour you are mentioning above. In the vast majority of cases you will be meeting the marketing folks if you have called ahead and made specific appointments, which is certainly doable.

Getting around in the Douro is fun, with a train ride and then having a car at your disposal, but having to drink and drive yourselves given Ports high alc. AND the steep, winding roads that are requisite to get around ... just is not something I recommend. Of course having freedom to choose where you are going is good, but having a solid itinerary with key players from the trade, while not having to drive -- is just another reason to join us.

But the most critical point of difference between the tours that Mario and I guide here, is that I personally pre-arrange horizontal and vertical tastings of Port and Douro wines at every stop along the way. Have a look at the page or two of tasting notes Andy posted today and that is just two of seven days of Port. Not only would you get to try 180-240 wines in a week with us, but when compared to what you will get to drink in terms of age and quality on anyone else's pre-arranged tour, there simply is no comparison. I spend a part of every day looking at what our competitor's offer and I am still certain that we can deliver a better package for someone with your knowledge of Port.
Can anyone give me any pointers like "don't go by yourself" or "get a guide from such and such".
You can certainly enjoy a trip on your own through the Douro and I want to make sure that is clear. It is the level of your desired experience that will ultimately decide what you choose. Read many of the previous travel posts in this Forum that have suggested accomodations, restaurants and Quintas to visit. You can learn much from these previous posts too.

Nikolaj - If you decide that our trips are not the best suited for your needs, email me directly: [email protected] or [email protected] and I will be very happy to provide you with further suggestions and advice. I only would consider doing this for folks who are actively involved here on the FTLOP Forum and I'm not able to provide this personalized service for those I do not know. That is what travel agents are for. :wink:

Since part of the business side of the FTLOP web site is running guided tours (both Mario and me) while providing unique itineraries, comfortable transportation, access to the vast array of Port winemakers & owners, solid eats at every meal, accomodations that are worthy and Ports/Douro wines that you'll remember for a lifetime ... have a look if you have not already seen these trips: http://www.fortheloveofport.com/index.php

Thanks for your post and I hope you will consider us to provide you and your brother with a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Again, please feel free to email me with any questions you may have or in providing further assistance as mentioned above.

Respectfully,

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Nikolaj Winther

Post by Nikolaj Winther »

Hi Roy.

It really does sound spectacular.

With the risk of breaking the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it"-rule... How much is the trip going to cost (circa)? While I find the trip entrigueing, it also sounds costly (Mind you, I don't say expensive - those are two different things entirely).

I can't seem to find any price anywhere. I realize you can't give any exact price - just tell me the ball-park.
What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Not because of the actual price, but because of issues we have had concerning our competitors ... the two things we do not put on line or even send by email is the exact itinerary or pricing. I am happy to call anywhere in the world (and do so, many times a week!) to provide these types of details.

There have been exceptions when I know the individual for years, from on line or in person meetings, but both Mario and I are very careful to protect our information.

If you would like further details of pricing, email me and I will be happy to give you a call to discuss our tours. :o

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Nikolaj

As someone who has been on one of Roy and Mario's tours in the past (I went on the 2006 Harvest Tour), I can really recommend going with them. I had a great time and was with a really good bunch of folks - as we all knew we had our love of port in common.

I've also been to the Douro independently and on a tour organised by one of Roy and Mario's competitors. But Roy and Mario's was the tour I enjoyed the most and was the one where I was given the best reception by the big names from the Port industry.

It's worth having the phone call with Roy to discuss itinerary and cost. The itineraries vary so it's good to discuss the tour that's fits your interests as closely as possible and the cost is something that Roy will be very open about when you speak.

And he's probably going to be awake for another few hours yet, before going to bed at some early hour of the Seattle morning!

Alex
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I friend on the Forum has asked whether I really did enjoy the competitor tour more than the Roy & Mario tour we did together in October 2006.

I realised that I had worded my post above quite poorly. I have now edited the post to make it clear that I meant that Roy & Mario's tour was the best. The competitor tour was OK and was quite enjoyable, but was nothing like as impressive as the Harvest Tour of 2006 - that was a real blast.

If you can manage to go on one of Roy & Mario's tours, I really recommend it.

(I have no affiliation with Roy & Mario other than as a happy tour customer and friend from this forum.)

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alex,

I had to do a double take the first time I read it but knew what you were aiming for. Thank you for the generous and enthusiastic recommendation. I haven't heard from Nikolaj yet, but hopefully when he has time he'll write me.

The good news about the Douro is that it continues to get more user friendly for travelers on a whim. Our small niche in providing access to specific wines/Ports and principal Port players is still something we pride ourselves on.

We're just about a week away from some crazy Port events on the E. Coast and I am looking forward to drinking some fantastic Ports with you again, my friend!