A 3 day weekend here in the USA... what Ports r u executing?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

A 3 day weekend here in the USA... what Ports r u executing?

Post by Roy Hersh »

I'm finishing off 2 CA wannabe ports this weekend and at least one other bottle from PORTUGAL during the Championship games. How about you?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I finished off that Aussie imposter :wink: and now have a 2001 Krohn's LBV (a very good QPR). Since the Virtual Tasting this month is a Douro Dry wine, a Douro dry wine with a steak is on tap for later tonight. Not sure what bottle I will open, but I'll figure it out in a couple of hours when its closer to dinner.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Alex R »

Hey Andy don't forget the A1 sauce with your steak :twisted: :P :lol:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alex R wrote:Hey Andy don't forget the A1 sauce with your steak :twisted: :P :lol:
I didn't :lol: But it was more on the rare side this time....patience :wink: :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Alex R »

Welcome to the Rare side my young Padawan :devil: :wink:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In Alex's mind, SW does not stand for Smith Woodhouse! :shock:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Harry Trac
Location: Boca Raton, Florida, United States of America - USA

Post by Harry Trac »

I am drinking a Quinta De Portal Colhieta 94

It is a little chilli here in Florida, is down in the high 50's
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Harry,

My mother has a place that she leases for Jan. to March in Boca and last year I came down to visit her and get to know the area a little bit. I went to school at FIU down the road a piece and spend some time every year in March or April in WPB at a wine event. Maybe at some time we'll get to share some Port. Welcome to For The Love Of Port. I hope you have a good time here.

1994 was the first year of operations for Portal and they did not release that wine until just a couple of years ago and I had it early on, but it has been a few years since my only tasting of it. They are great folks and their LBVs, Tawny Ports and some of their recent vintages (1999 and younger ... 2000 and 2003 are spectacular!).

Tonight, the websites mastermind, Stewart Todd was here for the day watching football, eating and drinking too. We had a nice 2001 Douro wine and also a port 375 from CA which was REALLY tasty. I had opened two other bottles from this producer earlier in the week and now one more for Stewart to try. He like it enough (blind) to score it 91-92 points. Later we also drank a 1992 Warre's Quinta da Cavadinha Vintage Port. Nothing like Port from Portugal! :lol:
Harry Trac
Location: Boca Raton, Florida, United States of America - USA

Post by Harry Trac »

Thank you for the hearty welcome. Jan to March is certainly the time to be down here as the weather could not be better. Would love to host, if you are ever in the area.

My brother and I spent a couple of weeks in Portugal last summer with some of our time spent in the valley. We stayed at Quinta de Portal and had much fun enjoying the pool and the wines. ( we happened to be the only two there). That is were we first tasted the colheita and loved it. I have since then found it here in the US. I normally keep one open in the wine cooler so I can enjoy a glass or two after a meal. I currently prefer it to a twanny or LBV. The over time game last night promted me to kill the bottle :)

Happy MLK day to everyone
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I finished off a half bottle of Kopke '87 Colheita over the long weekend and plan to open a bottle of Rocha '77 Colheita for the Super Bowl.

It's far too soon, but I plan to open a bottle of 2001 Quinta do Panascal at a poker party this Friday night. We toured the vineyards there this summer and really enjoyed ourselves, so when I saw this bottle at Costco of all places I had to buy it! If it turns out as good as I expect I plan to go back and get more bottles to lay down.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glenn,

A hearty welcome to you, my Port drinking neighbor. You are about a 3 minute drive from where I live. Damn, there goes my liver!

Seriously, how did you find out about us FTLOPers?

It is nice to have another Port drinking Sammamish person here. The other one rarely posts anymore since he got a new job, but he is in one of my tasting groups. Do you also like to drink other good wines or mostly just Port?

Come on back and visit, I have a feeling you are going to like it here.

Cheers! :winepour:
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy,

A friend of mine emailed me a link to the newspaper interview and FTLOP was referred to there. That's the whole story!

I have one Sammamish area port drinking friend who lives even closer to you than I do, and a second one who lives closer to me south of Pine Lake. Both started new jobs within the last year, so I suppose either one of them could be the person you know.

I was introduced to port by a friend who gave me a bottle of Porto Rocha 20-yr old for my 40th birthday. I have expanded my taste since then, but I still greatly prefer tawnies over rubies. My enjoyment of Port even added a segment to our 20th anniversary trip this summer - we spent 4 days in Portugal in late June.

Oddly enough, I'm not much of a wine drinker. I enjoy tasting red wines in order to help develop my palate, but I don't like them enough to drink them. On the white side I'll rarely enjoy a glass of Riesling, but that's about it. I'll cook with just about any kind of wine though!

Port and dessert wines are where it's at for me. I have a small collection started and already need a new wine fridge!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glenn,

Is Ed Murray one of the two friends?

You are not alone. We have quite a few folks who don't drink much in the way of table white or red wine and just like Port and other dessert wines. Nothing wrong with that.

We'll have to get you to try some more Ports in the near future. You are fortunately in the right place for that. :lol:
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

No, I don't know Ed Murray. My two port drinking friends are Will Tian and Steve Kam. Will lives near you, and Steve lives near me.

Fortunately for me, my wife likes red wine so I do still get to taste it regularly. We do a lot of label exploring and it has served us well over the years.
Glenn Elliott