Not lurking now!

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ross Lynch

Not lurking now!

Post by Ross Lynch »

Roy,
First you are a God send! I love Port, however I have very little knowledge, so I look forward to many days on this forum and your web page to learn more. Thank you!!

Second, I (like many newbies I am sure) am looking for good Ports to drink now that don't cost too much (I know very subjective). But, let's say I am not the only newbie with a small budget. I would like to see suggestions from anyone and hopefully Roy, say in the $20-$40 range. I also enjoy smoking cigars and in my opinion, Port is one of the best companions to a great cigar! I am looking for something to share with a friend that we will both enjoy without breaking the bank.

On another note, I and four other friends have started a Port night gathering which we do every couple of months. One person holds the gathering and is responsible for deciding the theme, vertical tasting, horizontal tasting or whatever the person wants. I just held one and did a blind horizontal tasting of five different `95s, not a bad night and there were a few surprises. Everyone pitch's in to cover the Port and a few snacks. So far the high end has been $100 each, but we typically average about $50 each. It is a great time!!

8)
Last edited by Ross Lynch on Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Erac, I think you have a great subjet to start another thread: "Recommendations between 20 and 40$" I'm sure you'll have lots of feedback!

My first would be Sandeman LBV 1999 that I just drank tonight and can even be found under 20$.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Alan Rath

Post by Alan Rath »

Not sure where you live, but here in California I have recently bought and tasted the 2000 Quinta de Roriz for $40 at the local Costco. Looks like it is more widely available for closer to $50 most places, but it nearly qualifies in your price range, and I would probably put it in the top 1/3 of the producers for the 2000 vintage.

In all honesty, Port (of all types) is one place where I don't seem to have much luck on the bargain end. My experience is that it is one area of wine where you get what you pay for much more than other wine types. I'm sure there are exceptions (what you're looking for, obviously), but I think it's more likely to find a good bargain red or white wine than a Port. Fortunately (actually very fortunately), with a very few exceptions you can buy the truly top end Ports for relatively modest prices - when you contrast to the very top wines from Bordeaux, Burgundy, Italy, California, etc.

I love your approach of splitting more expensive bottles between several friends. This is particularly suited to Port, where you might not drink as much as a non-fortified wine. Hope to hear some good reports from these occasions.

Cheers,
Alan
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Erac,

I hope that is not meant as a play on words. Anyway, this will soon change when all participants will have to supply their real names in order to post. :)

On a more positive note, I wish there was a Port tasting group near me! This sounds very cool and a great way to learn. Personally, I am not a big fan of Vintage Port with cigars, but I know lots of people who love the combo. I much prefer Tawny Ports, especially 20 year olds with a cigar.

I urge you to post a new topic in the Port Forum and request suggestions for Ports between your price points and I have a feeling you will have MANY people offering up their opinions too.

Although I agree with Alan most of the time, we see things differently re: value offerings of Port. There are many to be found by the shrewd shopper. On another website, I have posted at least a dozen times this year, when I have found some incredible bargains on all types of Port, young and old. So, post again on the other Forum area and I will be happy to add my 2 cents there, where others may also get to read it.

Keep on posting and let us know what Ports you are trying in your group. It sounds fabulous!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan Rath

Post by Alan Rath »

Roy Hersh wrote:I agree with Alan most of the time
Let's just leave it at that :wink: Seriously, Roy is definitely right, there are good bargains in Port out there - both at the QPR end, and in deals that can sometimes be found on very good to great wines. If I reformulate what I was trying to say, it is that I find a much narrower range of price between the low and high ends in Port (excepting a few really special cases, like Nacional, Seppelt Para, etc) than with unfortified wines. For example, look at the current 2003 futures offerings: take out Nacional, and you're looking at a range of about $30 on the low end to $70 at the top end. Compare that to 2003 Bordeaux, which ranged from $20-30 for decent wines at the low end all the way up to $300+

Given this narrower range for Port, I tend to skew my buying toward the better/best wines, since the relative cost is not so much higher.

Cheers,
Alan