decanting time on a young VP

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

decanting time on a young VP

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm learning very quickly since joining, and one of the first things I noticed is that VP need to be decanted much further in advance of drinking than I thought. I was under the impression that 30-60 minutes was all it took, and that too much longer than that might damage the wine. However, I see many posts here saying that 10 hours or more might be required!

So... if I plan to drink a 2001 Quinta do Panascal after dinner (say around 7:00 pm), when should I decant it? Would decanting it before I leave for work (around 7:30 am) be too soon?
Glenn Elliott
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

For a 2001, that is not too soon, IMHO .
Richard Henderson
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I often decant the ports that I want to drink in the evening, before I leave for work in the morning. I would be very comfortable doing this with a 2001 vintage - and you might even find that it's even better the following evening (36 hours after decanting)!

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glenn,

Here is a basic primer on decanting. It is not the be all end all and is just meant as a guide. There are many other thoughts on the process and other methods employed, so choose what works best for you.

Here is what works best for me, while mentioning some of the other regimes I am aware of:

http://www.fortheloveofport.com/article ... anting.htm
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com