Lots of new faces ... please introduce yourself

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

*Neesmennatiom

thanks, and...a question

Post by *Neesmennatiom »

Thank you Roy for the warm welcome. So, it hasn't even been a week since my first sip of Port and I'm more curious than ever, lots of interesting tidbits on here have been very useful. That port bug has me itching for sure.

I figured I'd try a colheita next; picked up a 1997 by a brand called Feist. I am having difficulty determining what producer this company is affiliated with (through online searches), in this early stage not that I'm loyal to a particular label, but curious where Feist is exactly in the big picture of Port. It seems to be the most readily available to special order through out state's liquor control which I found interesting, but pleased just the same that the variety of other producers appears pretty good considering my location.

http://www.state.vt.us/dlc/retail/priceguide/wines.html

If you don't mind peeking at this list, I'm open to suggestions for trying a ruby next trip to the store. After that, I'm especially interested in trying a white, which no doubt I'll have to pick up out of state or order online since I don't see one on this list...it's been my experience that if it's not on the list, it's an arduous task to get someone at liquor control to find it. One step at time.

Thanks again!

Rob in Vermont
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Rob,

I'm not Roy, but thought you might like some suggestions on what I would recommend as your first ruby from the Vermont list that you posted - but there is a cautionary note to add. Young vintage port is very, very different from the much more subtle layers and textures it develops with 40 years of age.

That said, there are some spectacular youngsters on that list. The one that really stood out for me was the Croft 2003 - this is a superb wine and is fairly priced at $70.

The Fonseca Guimaraens 1982 for $45 might be worth a try, though this was produced in a year which is generally known as having produced light vintage ports. This would at least give you an idea of the way in which a mature vintage port would present.

But most of all, have fun!

Alex
Last edited by Al B. on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Salut Rob !!
Feist doesn't have a special connection with any one quinta .
It shares It's cellars with Barros in Vila Nova de Gaia .
It's part of the Sogevinus proup .
Feist makes better Colheitas than Vintage Ports .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Lots of new faces ... please introduce yourself

Post by Roy Hersh »

Luc,

Which VPs have you had from Feist?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Roy ,

What I meant to say is ; I've enjoyed the Barros Colheitas more than the Feist Colheitas that I've tasted .
Never tasted any Feist VP's . ( Sorry for any confusion caused :? )
Moses Botbol

Re:

Post by Moses Botbol »

Rob Chambers wrote:Hello everyone; this is Rob here and I live in the town of Richmond, Vermont which is about 15 minutes outside of Burlington.
Welcome aboard.

NH Liquor store has some serious deals. They have the Sandeman 20 year for $32.00! Most places it's in the $50.00's.

There's off-line's that happen in Montreal you may want to join. There's also a Niepoort dinner in Montreal that is posted on this forum. The restaurant is quite nice and should be a good time.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
*tycleStully

Post by *tycleStully »

Hello all!

A new face from the port capital of the world: Québec! :lol:

I have finally decided to join after lurking for ages on the forum. I am more of a wine aficionado but do enjoy the occasional bottle of port or sherry (madeira is next on my list but availability is very poor). I prefer older colheitas, subtle tawnies, fine LBVs, mature vintages and I am very impressed by the quality of Douro wines made by the newer generation. I do not post very often on forums so I apologize in advance. I work in the wine business in a support capacity.

I strenghten the Québec contingent led by Port/Douro-ambassador-at-large Frédérick and FTLOP-ambassador Luc.
I will gladly continue to read your port tasting notes and will ask the odd question.

Cheers!

Patrick
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Patrick,

WELCOME! Its great to have you offically join in the fun here after lurking for some time. I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Patrick,

Welcome to FTLOP - any friend of Frederick and Luc is a friend of ours here.

Just for the record - do you like peanut butter?

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Bienvenue Patrick,

Glad you have joined us and we will make you feel at home, whenever you do grace us with your Port presence.

As far as asking the "odd question" ... we have two people in your area that are our Ambassadors of odd responses, so you have come to the right place. :help: All kidding aside, please feel free to lurk and post whenever you have the time to drop on by.

Abientot!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Peter A.

Post by Peter A. »

Well, lets not mince words, I started drinking port as a poor student looking to get drunk as cheaply as possible. That was over 20 years ago, when I really was known as Hairy Pete, but I never drank enough to swear off it for life and as my financial situation improved so did my taste in ports. I'm no connoisseur, and have never felt the needs to join a website such as this before, but then, I guess my tastes are continuing to improve!

I recently inherited a bottle of Warre & Co's "Grand Reserve" 1962 (bottled in '75), can anyone tell me anything about this port?

H
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Patrick Mazur wrote:Hello all!

A new face from the port capital of the world: Québec! :lol:

I have finally decided to join after lurking for ages on the forum. I am more of a wine aficionado but do enjoy the occasional bottle of port or sherry (madeira is next on my list but availability is very poor). I prefer older colheitas, subtle tawnies, fine LBVs, mature vintages and I am very impressed by the quality of Douro wines made by the newer generation. I do not post very often on forums so I apologize in advance. I work in the wine business in a support capacity.

I strenghten the Québec contingent led by Port/Douro-ambassador-at-large Frédérick and FTLOP-ambassador Luc.
I will gladly continue to read your port tasting notes and will ask the odd question.

Cheers!

Patrick
Salut Patrick , bienvenue au meilleur site de porto au monde . . .
Don't worry about asking odd questions , hell , I use to think that Port and Peanut Butter were an unbeatable combination . . .
You know , like salt & pepper , pizza & beer , pidgeon breasts and port ( ask Alan ) .
Anyway , hope to see you at our next Montréal or East Coast offline . :salute:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Peter A. wrote: I recently inherited a bottle of Warre & Co's "Grand Reserve" 1962 (bottled in '75), can anyone tell me anything about this port?

H
Peter,
That bottle would be a 1962 Warre's Colheita. They were often called a "Reserve" and that term means nothing more than Colheita nowadays. I've not had it, so can't give and opinion about it, but hopefully someone here can.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
*tycleStully

Post by *tycleStully »

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Derek: I am acquainted with the 'p' story; I don't enjoy the product per se though I do like peanut butter sauce in Asian dishes. My dog likes peanut butter but it doesn't get to drink wine or port; this would constitute animal abuse (though I think he might like it).

Luc: Pigeon and port (ruby I hope) seems like a good combination! Alan seems to have some taste.

Cheers!

Patrick
Vasco

Post by Vasco »

Hello everyone,
My name is Vasco and I live in Toronto. I am of Portuguese descent, with many family members still living in the north of Portugal. I guess my first introduction to Port was when I was relatively young but was given a sample of some port from a local grower who was a friend of an uncle and to make a long story short I've been hooked since. My initial port purchases were all based on recommendations by local shop keepers in and around Porto and luckily, they've all turned out incredibly well. I'm now trying to rely a bit less on luck & become slightly more informed and so I guess this is what brings me to FTLOP and the its forums. Cheers.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Welcome to the community!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Salut et Bienvenue !!
Anything about Port will be answered . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

So your Canadian brethren have already jumped in to welcome you Vasco. Thanks for joining us here and we all look forward to providing you with answers to any of your questions and we're just pleased you decided to come and share your thoughts and queries on Port wine!

Cheers! :winepour:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Vasco, now that is Portuguese name! Welcome.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Vasco,

Welcome to :ftlop: its really great to have you join us.