March 2008 VT: Get any Port from Delaforce

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

March 2008 VT: Get any Port from Delaforce

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ok, just starting this thread out. So grab ANY Port from Delaforce and post your tasting note or impressions here.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Erik Wiechers

Delaforce: His Eminence’s Choice 10 year old tawny

Post by Erik Wiechers »

Delaforce: His Eminence’s Choice 10 year old tawny

I had a tiny bottle of this bought some time ago together with lots of other miniature bottles of 5 cl
This is a excellent opPORTunity to taste it.

The cork broke off while pulling it out of the bottle so i had to use a seeve as i poured it into the glass.

The colour is very pale, almost like sherry, a golden colour with a little brown/red. I really cant tell how old this bottle was. I know its a 10 year old tawny, but it looks much older.

It smells good, although its hard to tell what exactly. One of these days i have to get my one of those Le nez du Vin boxes.
Right now i would say i smell old oak wood, brandy, raisins and some alcohol.

The taste is funky, not the sweetness i would expect but old and mature. I do taste some forgotten glory, but its definately way past its prime. Mind you, its not bad either. The aftertaste is about 30 seconds, the tannins are gone and its smooth. It taste like old scotch or rum with some sweetness in it.
On the palate i taste the old oak wood again and a little acidity. Very funny taste, i never tasted something like this before. The alcohol i smelled before in the glass is now gone.
The fifth and last sip was more velvet like, no burning at all and hit the spot just right.

Not bad at all since i don't know the bottle's history but no blockbuster either. Just a nice little port to drink well after coming home from work.
Andy Velebil

Delaforce Fine Tawny Porto

Post by Andy Velebil »

We got a little delay due to the forum upgrade, so now it's time to start posting people. I picked this bottle up when Roy and I were out cruising the wine store Satruday afternoon. I've never had it, and can't say I recall seeing a TN on this one, though I havn't checked yet either.

DELAFORCE FINE TAWNY PORTO

This is a basic tawny and I must admit it's been a long time since I've had one. The color is more along the lines of watered down grape juice than the brownish/red color associated with a 10 year tawny. The simple nose is also more along the lines of a ruby with red plums and some chocolate and a touch of arguardente. A simple, yet easy to drink, palate shows some light bing cherries with a medium finish that ends with a tad too much heat for my likes. I must say this isn't bad for a $10 bottle, as I've had much worse. But this really is more along the lines of a light ruby, as it has little resemblance to a tawny. 81 points
03/10/08
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Re: March 2008 VT: Get any Port from Delaforce

Post by Frederick Blais »

Tonight with some Papouasia 1er Cru Chocolate from Michel Cluizel I decided it was time to write about this VT and crack some Delaforce Quinta Corte 1991.

Ruby/reddish color, the rim is starting to get realy tawny on at least 2 mm. Decanted for 4 hours, the nose is showing very intense flavours of plum, dates, dried figs, tobacco and chocolate flavours with a touch of old wood. The entry on the palate is sweet, dominated with flavours of ripe plums and tobacco. Then some tamed tannins gets in with licorice flavours, chocolate, figs and sour cherries. Finish is of good lenght, no alcohol is felt on this incredibly balanced port. 17.5/20

Quite evolved for a 16 years old Port, but it delivers quality and layers of flavours of flavour with enough depth to call it VP. Not as good as its sibling Croft from 91 but worth looking for with intentions of medium term cellaring.

Paid 73$ can, it is decent money for Quebec's market considering it is better than others for less.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Lars F

Post by Lars F »

I've got a 1987 VP which I'll put on death row for the upcoming easter. Notes to follow

-Lars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have been looking and not finding any of this in my marketplace. Something wrong with that picture. I am going to find out from the distributor if they are carrying the Delaforce as I know there is Croft, Taylor and Fonseca here already ... all are brought into the USA by Kobrand.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lars F

Delaforce Corte 1987 VP

Post by Lars F »

Noticed that this is a Delaforce Corte? Is that a SQVP or is Corte just part of the name?

+0 Very light red color, with a hint of orange. Almost white alogn the edge. Smell very faint, but a touch of fruit. Quite much alcohol in the taste. Not much fruit but a tawny like aftertaste which lingers in the mouth.

+4 Color a bit more dark and red brownish. A bit more fruit in the nose, but tastes almost like a 10 year old Tawny.

+72 Same color but the sweetness was more prominent with a very smooth finish. Overall a very nice port which I think is very nice at this age.

-Lars
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Corte is the name of Delaforce most famous Quinta. The old terraces worth the view!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil

Re: Delaforce Corte 1987 VP

Post by Andy Velebil »

Lars F wrote:Noticed that this is a Delaforce Corte? Is that a SQVP or is Corte just part of the name?
-Lars
Q.d. Corte is a SQVP. Which is the main Quinta for Delaforce, as Fred mentioned.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I finally picked up my Delaforce and my first contribution to the Virtual Tasting Forum in a couple of months. I am ashamed. :oops:

Here is a TN from the first time I tried this Port (it is the only Delaforce I can find in Edmonton, although there may be one other type hiding out at some store unknown to me... it is not a big name around here)
[i]In a TN from 2007.05.06[/i], Todd Pettinger wrote:Delaforce His Emminence’s Choice 10 Year Old Tawny [NV – No Vintage]

For the first time ever in recollection I believe I can taste the brandy that was used to stop the fermentation process. I taste distinct notes of oak and that excessive alcohol burn that I only associated with the higher alcohol (40% and up) brandies and whiskies. I would be extremely interested in learning what they used as an aguardente as there is a distinct after-taste of this.

Aside from that, a smooth, much more dry than many, Tawny that has less of the excessive brown sugar and crème brulee that I am accustomed to tasting in the majority of the aged tawnies. Slightly nutty, I would guess this would go down very well with some Sharp (Aged) Cheddar and walnuts, although I am saddened that I have neither at hand at the moment. I will have to pick some up and try this before the bottle is empty.

For those of you who like the dryer style of ports, with less sweetness, His Eminence's Choice may be a good choice for you if you have not tried it yet. I actually am discovering that I swing to the sweet side, but will definitely buy this again for a "horizontal" of sorts with all 10 Year Aged Tawnies I am trying to organize.
Uh.... pretty much - DITTO.
Dry finish. I could taste the aguardante (I think... it had a very strong spirit taste... bitter almost). Ditto ditto ditto.

Todd
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:I have been looking and not finding any of this in my marketplace.
With the exception of the VP and the very basic tawny, Delaforce is almost non-existant in my area too. Although I have recently found a 1991 Delaforce LBV. I won't be able to get to it this month, but I will open it next month and add my TN here.