15 Different Kopke Colheitas Available in Ontario

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Alan Gardner

15 Different Kopke Colheitas Available in Ontario

Post by Alan Gardner »

I assume Roy is OK with this as they quote him extensively in the blurb, and our glorious Government Monopoly would never breach copyright (or is that "fair use").
All are bottled in 2007 and shipped directly from Kopke.
Vintages are 1997 (youngest at $30Cdn)
1974 ($99)
1957 ($295)
1938 ($690)

http://www.vintages.com/classics/1/fort ... nes_m.html
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: 15 Different Kopke Colheitas Available in Ontario

Post by Glenn E. »

Wow... Canadian prices are high. :(

I get the Ramos Pinto Quinta do Bom Retiro here in the US for more like $55, and I've seen the Kopke Colheita 1938 here for $400.

That's a very nice vertical, though.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Grab the 1957 at that price which is not only priced very well (esp. for up there) but also it is one of the top 3 or 4 Colheitas produced by Kopke since 1890.

By the way, why would I mind your first post in this thread? It is EXACTLY why we have the MARKETPLACE Forum!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gilles Séguin

Post by Gilles Séguin »

Its nice to see Roy and FTLOP website cited in the Ontario Classics catalogue (LCBO) and in a lot of publications around the world, it indicate great achievement, congratulation Roy !

Keep up the good work.

Hopefully some new canadian member will come to FTLOP.

Regards,

Gilles Séguin
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Roy Hersh wrote:Grab the 1957 at that price which is not only priced very well (esp. for up there) but also it is one of the top 3 or 4 Colheitas produced by Kopke since 1890.

By the way, why would I mind your first post in this thread? It is EXACTLY why we have the MARKETPLACE Forum!
I wonder why my post was deleted...? but anyway, thanks for the answer Roy, I'll grab some 57.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Frederick Blais

Ok, it seems my post was not deleted but an error occured.

I was mainly asking folks of the board if they had any experience with those Kopke Colheita. I'd like to put around 350$ in 1,2 or 3 bottles among those offered. If you had any recommendation, that'd be appreciated. So far I'm considering the 57 8--)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Fred,

I'd stick with the '57. That doesn't leave much of the budget left over, and the prices aren't listed. So I'd probably grab one of the younger ones and give them a try. While still rather young, the 1996 is not bad for esentually a 10 year tawny. The 1938 also is very good, but not worth the price IMO.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

Just got my 'order' notification.
"The product [1957 Colheita Port Kopke] will not be available."
A check of the website shows that the 57 has totally 'disappeared' from the offering. Yet all the others are still there.
I wonder - what happened? Did Kopke pull the plug? Was it mispriced, so they pulled the offer?
Of course, the presumed limited quantity couldn't have disappeared into a political 'black hole' could it? Because Canadian politicians are certainly not corrupt (although they do occasionally admit to making mistakes).
So the caption should now read '14 Different Kopke Colheitas Available In Ontario'.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I suspect that the price changed on them... I ordered a split for $125-ish from a local wine store shortly after you posted this thread and got it, but the guy at the store said I was lucky because the price had just shot up significantly.
Glenn Elliott
Frederick Blais

I had order the 1957 too... and fortunately a few other years. The reason why it was removed was because of lab test failure. I can't say more other than Quebec and Ontario have strick quality test on many components in wines. I've seen some crazy things being refused or accepted, especially in Quebec.

Could you believe that some wines selling for 500+$ with 100pts by Parker could get refused by a lab? In Québec it is possible :D But again some people with long arms made some pressure and the wine was released. I've seen also a white burgundy with tartratic acid deposit getting refused as it was not normal for white wine to have deposit... how about it is not filtered :? The list goes on, but it is often what happens when the guys in the lab have strick rules from people who are not aware too much about winemaking techniques.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Glenn E. wrote:I suspect that the price changed on them...
I suspect that someone who was born in 1957 and lives near Seattle bought them all before you guys got the chance to :evil: :lol:
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

Apparently the speculation is wrong.
LCBO is not noted for their modern approach to customers.
When I ordered the 57 I was turned down as the product was 'not available'.
Now they have a sale (started today Monday 8 Dec at 9:00 local time - phone orders only) and they have 'reduced the price of the Kopke 1957 from $295 to $199' Cdn - presumably as it wasn't selling. Not really surprising if you've told everyone that it isn't available, then don't follow up when it becomes available.
Oh well - just saved $96 per bottle!
Oh, and they don't ship out of Province.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

A blessing in disguise for sure :salute:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

The saga continues.
Just got a phone call. The product (57 Colheita) was sold "in error", and will not be shipped.
Apparently it is unsafe for human consumption - so I guess all of you who've tried this are no longer able to read this post.
Failed the lab test as lead level was too high.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

:shock: It was nice knowing you all...I guess I'm headed to the grave after drinking several bottles of this in the past year :wall: :wall: :blah: