April's 2008 Virtual Tasting : Get a VP with 22+ years

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

April's 2008 Virtual Tasting : Get a VP with 22+ years

Post by Frederick Blais »

This April we'll open the doors wider for the topic. You are welcome to try any VP with 22 years of age and share your impression.
Last edited by Frederick Blais on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: April's 2008 Virtual Tasting : Open a Noval Nacional

Post by Andy Velebil »

Sounds good...lets rock.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Erik Wiechers

Re: April's 2008 Virtual Tasting : Get a VP with 22+ years

Post by Erik Wiechers »

Now, what is the REAL deal here ? Im confused now.
If it ain't dutch it ain't much

http://www.erikwiechers.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Sorry Erik, this orginally had some April Fools joke on it, that has been edited out. So for April, it is get any Vintage Port with 22+ years of age on it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

Ok Andy. Thanks
If it ain't dutch it ain't much

http://www.erikwiechers.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Dow's 1983 VP

On Decanting
Cork removed intact. Decanted cleanly off a well formed crust. A lovely dark ruby red colour with a pink rim. Nice fresh raspberry nose. Good thick mouthfeel with lots of red fruits but very dry and quite hot. Needs air time.

+3 Hours
The nose has opened up and is now more powerfull but still that nice fresh raspberry dominates. Nice weight in the mouth. Now more blackcurrant showing but the dryness kicks in quickly. A long mouthwatering finish with a little warmth on the top of the palate. This is nice. Not spectacular, but very nice. The dryness isn't just the classic Dow effect, there is lots of tannin here which suggests this stuff has some way to go before showing its best.

I have half of this bottle in the fridge since decanting and will re-visit soon and update this TN.

Derek

PS: Has everyone else stopped srinking VP? :shock:
Frederick Blais

Last week-end I did open Graham's 1983 with 3 wine producers from Spain, France and Italy. All were charmed with the depth and concentration of this Port. The cork was not as easy to remove as Derek 83 Dow's and I had to work hard to prevent small pieces to drop in that precious liquid. But again I must remind that I am cursed with Port's cork removing duty.

The color was deep ruby, translucide but no color fading on the rim, this is clearly aging at a glacial pace as Parker often says. The nose exibit much alcohol on opening but after 5 hours everything is totally integatred so pure aromas of field berries, licorice and candied figs explode from one glass. On the palate, good concentration combined with still present tannins are leading the way to a full bodied port with secondary flavours of ripe fruit, blond tobacco, licorice and present cinnamon flavours are really showing that this port is still young for 25 years of age. Strong finish on spices and candied fruits, very long. I'd wait another 5-10 years to open the next bottle, at least. 18/20+
Andy Velebil

1983 Robertson's Rebello Valente Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

I am always on the look out for Ports that I've never had before, even if they are not blockbusters. I feel it's very important to try as many things, from as many producers, as possible. I ran across this 1/2 bottle at such a cheap price I just had to buy it. Especially knowing that it would fit in perfectly with the April Virtual Tasting.

1983 Robertson's Rebello Valente Vintage Port (375ml)

The color is more like a 10 year tawny in that it has a medium brown center that fades to a light brown edge with highlights of tan and red. The nose has lots of V.A. on it and was somewhat offputting. However, there are distinct notes of honey and maple under all that V.A. The palate is a simple light/medium bodied with carmel, cinnamon, faint cigars, and a bit too much heat protruding. The finish, while short, is pleasurable but simple. Overall this bottle shows a past-its-prime Port that is simple yet still pleasurable. 84 points
04/09/08
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Interesting that we all went for a 1983. I have had the Graham's two or three times recently and was very impressed. I haven't had the Robertson's RV but from Andy's note I think I'll pass :snooty:

I am sitting here with the other half of my Dow 83. It has been in the fridge since opening 4 days ago and tonight has been decanted for 4 hours. There is a little spirit on the nose tonight but it still has that lovely thick and smooth texture and classic Dow dry finish. I really like this stuff.

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I opened a 1983 on Friday night having seen everyone else having done so with Ports of this vintage:

1983 Smith Woodhouse Vintage Port - dark burgundy red and still opaque. This is such a fine drink and one of the better shippers for this particular vintage, certainly in the top half dozen. The nose is friendly now, 9 hours after it was opened and showed a significant spirity streak. Fresh floral fragrances and a dark note of tar, black pepper and licorice. The mouth is rich and round with a modicum of acidity balanced by fine and drying tannins which are quite prevalent upon swallowing. Mouthfilling full bore flavors of dark cherry and ripe blackberry fruit supported by a backdrop of herbs and spice. This is showing very young today and typically does. I always enjoy this Smith Woodhouse as it is packed with flavor and structure to carry it for a few more decades. If you don't have more than a bottle or two, leave them rest!
92+ points 4/18/08

Thanks Fred for keeping this Virtual Tasting area going!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I have a 1985 Porto Rocha in the queue for a poker party this Friday night. I'll make sure to take notes though so that I can post a follow-up.

I'm probably going to decant it on Thursday night after work and give it about 4 hours, then re-bottle it until the party Friday night. That's the only way I can give it a head start on decanting without having to miss work on Friday.
Glenn Elliott
Frederick Blais

Glenn E. wrote:That's the only way I can give it a head start on decanting without having to miss work on Friday.
Are you trying to say work is more important than a proper decanting time on your port? :evil:

You'll need some :help: :hello: from FTLOPers to teach you the basic of alcoholism with some tips on how to work from home :lol: 8--)
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Some people live to work.
Some people work to live.

I work for Port! :winepour:

Sadly, they do actually make me come into the office to get my work done. :(
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

1977 Warre's Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

This was already posted in the main forum, but since it also fits into the theme here...

Although woofully short on decant time, I opened a 1977 Warre's Vintage Port. I must say with only a couple hours of decant time it showed wonderfully. I've compared the Warre's as a Rolls-Royce before and this was no different. As I sit here typing this with the last glass left, the color is still a medium dark ruby with no signs of any bricking or fading. The nose was typical soft and elegant Warre's, so inviting and elegant you just want to smell it for ages. With soft blueberries, a touch of licorice, and a faint wiff of eucalyptis. Although the palate is not a massive bodied VP like a Taylors, this bottle is just such an elegant wine that you never want to stop drinking it. It shows no sign of fading and only the slightest hint that this is a 31 year old wine. The palate offers some soft plums, bing cherry, some menthol, and a touch of spirit, which is followed but a long and wonderful finish. Perhaps the best 1977 Warre's I"ve had, and I'm glad I was able to share it in the company of a good friend that I've not seen in some time. 93 Points.
04/20/08
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I started a thread in the Tasting Notes section for the 1985 Porto Rocha VP that I just opened. I'll update it a couple of times over the life of the bottle.
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I can't believe that I haven't posted into the April thread yet, definitely time to remedy the oversight. Here's a tasting note on a bottle that I bought in Tesco supermarket two weeks ago, in their wine sale.

Warre 1985
Purchased from Tesco in March 2008, in their post Christmas discount sale. Decanted off some very heavily set and almost limescale-like deposits that were well encrusted on the inside of the bottle. The cork was rock solid in the neck of the bottle. Appeared quite pale when decanted.

Deep red and opaque when drunk 10 hours after decanting. Closed on the nose, but with a sweet figginess coming from the glass. Full of fruit and promise when sipped, filling the mouth with ripe and luscious blackberries. Still amazingly tannic. Aftertaste a little short. Overall, this is an enjoyable wine that probably still has a little more to show but will never be a blockbuster. 4/5 or 88/100. Drunk 21 April, 2008.

Still drinking very nicely on Friday night, around 4½ days after decanting and still amazingly tannic.
Last edited by Al B. on Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by John Danza »

1985 Warre's VP

I had this wine last Sunday at a Wine & Food Society event.

My experience was different than Al's. I think it may be due to provenance on the bottles, as Al notes that his were newly acquired. The bottles at the IWFS event were purchased upon release in 1987 and cellared undisturbed since.

The wine is very dark still, with little sign of ageing. The dominent flavor is dark chocolate covered cherries. The alcohol was a bit hot, but this was likely due to a short decanting time, as the wine had been decanted only 2 hours before service.

My impression is that this wine will continue to improve for another 10 years, and then be a nice drink for 10 years more.
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

I just joined this forum last week (Kudos! by the way, it's a great site), and just discovered the VT room today. Being that I don't have anything on hand to drink for this tasting, I thought I'd post a note from something I drank last month that fits this category. Hope nobody minds :oops: - I'll post my note from the proper month next tasting. In keeping with what seems to be a mid-eighties theme so far, here are my notes on a bottle of Sandeman's 85 that I found at a shop in Midtown:

Light maroon color with a tawny hue to the rim. The nose shows a lot of maturity as well - cherry and strawberry, hazelnut, clove and cinnamon - quite nice. Smooth palate of maraschino cherry and caramel apple, pleasantly sweet with some black pepper and nutty notes rounding out the medium length finish. Seems fully fleshed out at this stage, moving toward the delicate side, though it has good balance and is drinking very well - one to drink in the nearer-term.
The Port Maverick
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Lamont Huxley wrote: I thought I'd post a note from something I drank last month that fits this category. Hope nobody minds :oops: -
Not at all Lamont...welcome to your first VT..glad you found it and thanks so much for participating here. Looking forward to hearing more from you.