May VT Suggestions

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Derek T.

May VT Suggestions

Post by Derek T. »

The April VT didn't spark much input so perhaps we need a wider theme to open things up.

Can I suggest a theme for 2 months based on the recent thread on the preference for red or tawny ports?

So, May would be "Any Red Port" and June would be "Any tawny port"

Qualifying ports for May would be:
  • Ruby
  • Reserve
  • Vintage Character
  • LBV
  • LBV (unfiltered, Bottle Matured or Traditional)
  • Crusted
  • SQVP
  • Vintage
I think it is worth having a very wide theme just to get people involved in this part of the Forum.

Derek
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: May VT Suggestions

Post by Glenn E. »

April's barely half over, give it a chance!

I don't have a VP on hand with 22+ years of age, so I'm working on it. :wink: Everything currently in my collection that is 22+ years old is a Colheita!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Excellent idea Derek. I think Frederick needs to spend more time here taking care of and nurturing his nest! :wink:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

IMO there is no point of planning on the forum the next VT 2 weeks ahead...

Derek, I don't want to get too general. The basic idea of the VT is to get different point of view on a very specific topic to help port lover making better decision based on their own taste. So if we open the VT to any Ruby or Tawny, we'll loose that aspect as the topic is too general and we won't be able to compare others taste for similar product.

We've had a run of top quality products in the recent VT, I think it is time now to get back to simpler products or a Port house tasting.

Here's what I would suggest, either to taste a Port from Smith Wooshouse(inspired by Roy's new post) or take a wide sample at a 10yo tawny. Any thoughts?
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Frederick,

Apologies if I jumped in too early in starting this thread. I was merely surprised by the lack of participation in the April tasting and wanted to explore ideas that might bring more people into the idea of a VT. However, I fully accept your desire to keep the VTs focused and not let the theme become too wide that it lacks cohesion.

I think your suggestions are good but I would say that the 10 yr old tawny would be more accessable to more people that a Smith Woodhouse theme.

I have a SW Madalena 1988 and a Taylor 10 yr old Tawny on standby awaiting your decision :wink:

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

As ultimately this is Frederick Blais' VT Forum, he has the final say. I like the idea of picking a producer, as long as it is one that is widely available to a large majority of FTLOPers. I think that Smith woodhouse fits into that category. However, I will shut up from here and let Frederick make up his own mind. :help:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

It is not my show, just the idea I started out. I really do like to hear what people like or not and I'm open to suggestion too, like Derek did. In the end I'll make the final choice, but based on what people have to say. If I make a choice that is not based on that, the participation rate will not be good. So please tell me if you have any good ideas, suggestion that could make drinking and sharing port more enjoyable for enthousiast and buyers.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Don't worry we are in total agreement. I was not saying you are the "dictator" here. :wink: Getting feedback and opening it up to other opinions is always a wise way to go. But ultimately, someone has to make a final decision and long ago you were empowered with that privilege. You have done it was great aplomb. Thanks! :clap: :clap:
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

A Smith Woodhouse tasting would be great.
The Port Maverick
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Come on then Frederick, which is it to be? :wink:

Derek
Frederick Blais

SW it will be... not many gave their thoughts but enough to give it the edge :)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thanks guys...I've been so busy the past couple of weeks I forgot its the new month....now to find a SW to open :D
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

An excellent choice. I may go for 2 this month :wink: