Hello?? Anyone out there?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Hello?? Anyone out there?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Its a little quiet on the forum this week. I hope everyone is just busy drinking lots of Purple Sunshine.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Re: Hello?? Anyone out there?

Post by Frederick Blais »

Oh yes Drinking!!!! I was with Telmo Rodrigez tonight, an amazing winemaker, lots of fun and wines.

When I asked him why he wanted to make a wine in the Douro, he replied that for him, Portugal was an extension of Spain. In stating this, he just wanted to say that Portugal had similar land than Spain, nothing about superioty of the country over Portugal. He really wants to make something great in Portugal since more than 8 years now, he's in early plan and more should be available as information and wines in a near future.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

The weather here is to nice to sit inside and be active on the forum Andy. Every day for the past 10 days or so temperatures are reaching up to 25 degrees celcius. Drinking port is not done for me now so i stick to a cold brewski and enjoy the loads of sunshine after work.

This weekend i post my TN about the Ventozelo
If it ain't dutch it ain't much

http://www.erikwiechers.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Wish I had that kinda weather...in L.A. its been overcast and cool (65 degrees) this week. Good Port drinking weather :D

Fred,
I do think Portugal is going to be a force in the dry wine market in coming years. I just hope the ports don't end up suffering as a result.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I just got back from Guatemala. Didn't have any Port down there, mainly Gallo beer. I did find a great rhum, Don Zacapa. Best taken neat.
JacobH

Post by JacobH »

As we’ve had the first couple of days of good weather this year (and it’s almost certain not to last), there’s quite a strong temptation to get through the year’s quota of Pimms before the rain restarts!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Well you're all welcome down here where the sun shines bright most of the year. No matter how much or how little it rains, the news calls it "Storm Watch ___" Drives me nuts, a little sprinkle and the place acts like its a 100 year flood :help: Good thing we don't get much rain!
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Andy Velebil wrote:Wish I had that kinda weather...in L.A. its been overcast and cool (65 degrees) this week. Good Port drinking weather :D

Fred,
I do think Portugal is going to be a force in the dry wine market in coming years. I just hope the ports don't end up suffering as a result.
As long as the Beneficio stands, port is protected and wine is suffering. Once it drops, a lot of companies will go the way the money is coming fast as usual. The portuguese feel wines in their roots, with port also but less, as the brits will keep their tradition of making ports.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

It's cool, rainy and gray here in Gotham, but I've got a bottle of Graham's 1975 on deck for tomorrow night, so it's looking like a good weekend regardless! :P
The Port Maverick
Dave Johnson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Dave Johnson »

Hi Andy. Long time, no see. Yeah, we are still all out here drinking heavily and sometimes too lazy to type.
Dave
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Lamont,
Gotham may have been a nasty place but it always had great Port drinking weather :devil:

Dave,
hey buddy, hope all has been well. I hope to be back up in Seattle in the next month or two. hopefully we, and others there, can meet up and pop some purple sunshine in that rainy state of yours.
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

The wife and I poured glasses of the last of our 150th Anniversary Porto Rocha which we opened in December. It was still showing strong with its dense caramel, Madeira like qualities. I was drinking it when I saw your post on Friday, Andy.
The summer heat is approaching but a little fine tawny is enough reason to declare port weather.
Richard Henderson