1990 Dow's Quinta do Bomfim Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

1990 Dow's Quinta do Bomfim Vintage Port

Post by Kris Henderson »

My appetite for Vintage Port is strong. After finishing the 2003 Vesuvio, I needed more. The cork came out cleanly. Just after opening there is a bit of bottle stink in an otherwise reticent nose. The color is a nice dark red that allows some light to pass through. Vigorous swirling leads to soft aromas of cherry, raspberry, and plum. Medium weight and sweetness on the palate. Soft well integrated tannins. Complex finish with a hint of smoke, some earth, and dried dragon fruit. A nice glass of Port.
Kris Henderson

Re: 1990 Dow's Quinta do Bomfim

Post by Kris Henderson »

wow, Wow, WOW, what a transformation. Started off a bit disjointed and angular. Now is smooth, lush, and elegant. Pairing really well and bringing out interesting complexities with pepper salami and aged gouda.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Kris,

This is good to know, I've got two 1/2 bottles left of this...thanks
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Kris Henderson

Post by Kris Henderson »

Andy, Glad you find the taste note useful. You could open one of those half bottles now and enjoy the hell out of it. Some patience might be rewarded though as in 5 to 10 years I can imagine this will be even better.

I"m just finishing up the last glass now. It's a little chunky but the tannins are ripe and lush. Lots of fruit with moderate acidity and a complex finish. Sweet, elegant, and a damn fine Port. Still a bit weak on the nose but it tastes so good I can forgive that.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've got one on death-row at the moment so it should be opened sometime in the near future....of course, I'll post a TN when I do.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I love reading about these rarities, whether young or old. It is not every day that you come across the '90 Bomfim. Did you buy it locally Kris?

Thanks for the TN!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Kris Henderson

Post by Kris Henderson »

Roy Hersh wrote:I love reading about these rarities, whether young or old. It is not every day that you come across the '90 Bomfim. Did you buy it locally Kris?

Thanks for the TN!
I didn't realize there was anything rare about the '90 Bomfim. Can you elaborate Roy? I purchased two bottles from a local guy moving out of the country who was selling off most of his cellar. I suppose I'll save my remaining bottle for a suitably special occasion.