1977 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Janet Ainsworth

1977 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

Post by Janet Ainsworth »

Opened on Christmas Eve and finished on Christmas Day. Beautiful deep ruby color with no signs of bricking on the rim. Expressive plum and blackberry flavors with a lingering finish. My daughter described it as "liquid velvet." I concur. Fully mature to my palate, but no hurry to drink up if you have more. Sadly, I don't.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I had this recently myself, for the first time in a few years and found it a bit simple but still young. Your description is very well written. I hope you will bless us with more of your impressions, with bottles you open Janet.

Do you have any Port in the plans for NYE?

I know you live here in WA, so at some point we'll have to get together and share some Port. Are you in Seattle proper?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Matt M

Post by Matt M »

I recently acquired two bottles of the '77 Gould Campbell...does anyone have any more experiences to share? Thanks.
Stuart Chatfield

Post by Stuart Chatfield »

I've got and tasted quite a lot of this one. It is rather odd.

Like its sibling, Smith Woodhouse, it is remarkably unevolved. I find it very sweet - maybe too sweet - and extremely deep and full-bodied. I agree with Roy's "simple" - I'd say one-dimensional. I don't know of any other port that is more youthful for its age than this. It could pass for a middling '94 or very good lbv.

That said, I far prefer the Smith Woodhouse. I often wonder if the GC 77 will be one of those that will only come round in real old age. Despite its simplicity, its incredible youth might mean it has the basics for the long haul.
Stuart Chatfield London, England
Matt M

Post by Matt M »

Thanks for the report. I'm in no rush, so I'll test the first one in ten years or so and see where that puts the second. Thanks!
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

I only tasted it once, and also thought it was much younger than a 1977...indeed 1994 was mentioned by those who tasted it blind. It will be interesting to see where this VP is headed, but I regret having to admit that I don't own any... :(