1940 Justino Henriques Sercial Vintage Madeira

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

simon Lisle

1940 Justino Henriques Sercial Vintage Madeira

Post by simon Lisle »

the first thing to hit me was almonds then a a wispy kick of age followed by dryness on the palate.these notes would be better if I had not the cave de prunier 1928 before it which was sublime honestly for $60 its a gem more madeira than madeira tasted after opening the color of wheat just cut age then wow sweetness around the palate abounds then walnut
then it's finnished superb broadbent says two hours in the glass for me this depreciated at concord speed when opened.sorry folks for posting wine tastings on the website but hey it was an experiance
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

$60?

Jeez, sign me up. That is one heck of a good price my friend. Mario and I visited this large producer during our relaxing visit to Madeira and had a wonderful and very educational tour of their production facility, not to mention a fabulous tasting. Some look at J & H as a bulk producer. Yes, they do take advantage of this niche and are very well suited to play in this arena for lots of reasons. But, I also have tasted through their upmarket portfolio and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Justino & Henriques is a name to seek out for their very fine quality wines that are normally sold at "more reasonable" prices than some of their competitors. Sometimes, size does play into pricing, which can be a good thing for the consumer.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
JohnG

Post by JohnG »

I have recently broached a bottle. It was not my first VJH 1940 sercial, but struck me as being a dry as was either possible or proper. It is a wine of great depth and with an excellent finish.

It will be interesting to compare it with a Blandy sercial of the same vintage, a wine of repute which I have not yet tasted.

The VJH, incidentally, was bottled in 1997. We are, presumably, unlikely to see Madeiras of such cask age in future. A pity that none of us will live long enough to do a comparative tasting of wines with long cask age against those with the minimum legally permissable!