2002 Dow Crusted -- (bottled 2002)

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

2002 Dow Crusted -- (bottled 2002)

Post by Kris Henderson »

(bottled 2002)
The color is a deep dark red. Throwing a bit of sediment already. The nose makes me think of blackberry pie. The palate shows good weight, structure, and balance. Nice fruity finish. This is definitely something that could be put away for several years and improve. For 25 - 30 dollars, I think this represents a good value.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Dow Crusted (bottled 2002)

Post by Roy Hersh »

What vintage was this from Kris? Normally there is a date of the harvest AND a bottling date. Do you remember which year it was from?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

Hi Roy,

No vintage date anywhere that I can see on the bottle. The selo number is 425691 and the lot number on the back label is L071027. The back label states "This Crusted Port is a blend of wines from recent harvests that have been matured in cask for two to three years before bottling without any filtration". So, I would guess it's from 1999 or 2000. Maybe even a blend of vintages if that is possible.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen a harvest date on a Crusted Port as they are a blend of 2-3 vintages. The only date that appears is the year it was bottled. I also just checked a Smith Woodhouse Crusted (bottled in 1990) that I have and there is no harvest date, just the year it was bottled.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

Andy Velebil wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen a harvest date on a Crusted Port as they are a blend of 2-3 vintages. The only date that appears is the year it was bottled...
So it is with the Graham's Crusted Port (bottled in 2001). I suppose it's their secret what goes into the Crusted Port.

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port