Your personal top 10

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

Your personal top 10

Post by Al B. »

I guess by now most people have read my guest corner article where I run through my personal list of the top 10 ports that I have drunk. There are some interesting ommissions and some clear biases that I demonstrate in the type of ports that I like.

So what would be your personal top 10? It doesn't really matter what your experience is, provided that you have tasted at least 10 different ports (including pink port).

And please include a little bit of explanation as to why you have chosen the 10 that you choose. Top 10 doesn't have to be the 10 best, it could mean the 10 most memorable (Derek will never forget his first taste of Marks & Spencer Pink Port), or the 10 most enjoyed sharing with others, etc.

Alex
Moses Botbol

Re: Your personal top 10

Post by Moses Botbol »

I left out the Nacionals, as that is on everyone's list, as are probably most mine. I am just shooting from the hip on this list and they are in no particular order; would like to stir the pot on this thread...

There's no suprises on my list, at least I do not think there is...

1. 1908 Graham
2. 1985 Graham
3. 1948 Taylor
4. 1952 Dalva White
5. 1970 Fonseca
6. 1963 Croft
7. 1945 Croft
8. 1970 Taylor
9. Niepoort Garrafeiras
10. 1955 Graham
Last edited by Moses Botbol on Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

My top Ten, with no order at all

1. Noval Nacional Vintage 1963
2. Noval Vintage 2003
3. Noval Colheita 1964
4. Niepoort Garrafeira 1952
5. Niepoort LBV 1981
6. Niepoort Tawny 1927 ( Handwritted bottle of Dirk's Father)
7. Ferreira Vintage 1863
8. Fonseca Guimaraens 1976
9. Burmester Colheita 1937
10. Cálem 40YO Tawny
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

In no specific order, hard to separate the very best 8--)

Taylor's Vargellas Vinha velha 1995
Taylor's 1970
Taylor's 1992
Fonseca's 1966
Dow's 1977
Dalva 1952 white Colheita
Niepoort 1937(bottled 1971) Colheita
Niepoort 1978(bottled 2000) Colheita
Colheita 1945 single vineyard, name was kept secret to me :snooty:
Noval Nacional 2000
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm assuming for this ranking that price is no object, because the lower half of my list would be different if I took price into account.

1. 1906 Brunheda Colheita, bottled in 2007(?) - First place is easy, nothing else comes close to this glass that I had at Roy's house.
2. 1977 Porto Rocha Colheita, bottled in 2006 - My first Colheita is still one of the best Ports I've ever had. I haven't opened one recently, though, so I may have placed it on too high of a pedestal.
3. 1970 Taylor Fladgate Vintage Port - Another tasting provided by Roy, this is easily the best VP I have had.
4. Ramos Pinto 20-yr old Tawny - My current standard, which I first tasted on a beautiful afternoon at the Solar do Vinho do Porto
5. Porto Rocha 20-yr old Tawny - My first Port, and I've had more of this Port than any other. It was my standard until I had the Ramos Pinto 20-yr old.
6. 1991 Kopke Colheita, bottled in 2006 - Shows older than it is, it's comparable to both of the 20-yr olds list above it on the list.
7. 2005 Kopke Vintage Port - I've had this a two different tastings and was very impressed both times. I need to pick up a case of it to lay down.
8. Niepoort 10-yr old Tawny - Given to me by a friend, this 10-yr old is really the only one I like. I find most 10-yr olds to be too young for my taste.
9. 1985 Warre's Vintage Port - My first VP with any real age, it's softer than I prefer but still makes the list due to that first impression.
10. Broadbent Auction Reserve Ruby Port - I use this as a "filler" to open when I'm in the mood for Port, but not for anything in particular. It surprises me every time. I had to include it on my list because I drink a lot of it!

I find my own list funny because there are so few notable Ports on the list. What makes it funnier is that I have a pretty good selection in my fridge... I just haven't opened any of them yet! :roll: I suspect that the 1985 Dow, 1985 Fonseca, 1994 Fonseca, 1994 Vesuvio, and 2003 Noval would all be in contention if I opened them. I also suspect that the 1957 Kopke Colheita and 1964 Noval Colheita would make the list since I'm such a fan of tawnies. :lick:
Glenn Elliott
Dave Johnson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Dave Johnson »

not quite ten, but here goes:
1. Taylor 45
2. Fonseca 48
3, Fonseca 63
4. Taylor 70
5. Fonseca 70
and I would add my sentimental "go-to" favorites
Grahams 85
Dow 77
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Dave,

Where have you been? We've missed you and I sent you an email a few months ago inviting you to an amazing Port gig and never heard back. Look below as on Friday there is a fun tasting in Redmond at a retail shop that you might enjoy.

Don't be a stranger! 8--)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

1. Fonseca 1966: just because it is

2. Graham's 1985: only had it once but the memory has lasted longer than any other single bottle experience

3. Noval 1963: a couple of stunning bottles along with one or two bad ones

4. Nacional 1963: tasted once and never forgotten

5. Warre 1970: consistently excellent in my experience

6. Fonseca 1963 : yummy, but perhaps now in decline

7. Dow 1980: a stunning young wine that will continue to improve

8. Graham's 1966: had it twice and both times ot was gorgeous

9. Fonseca 1985: you cannot have enough of this stuff, it will last for decades

10. Marks & Spencer Pink Port: no explanation required :help:

Derek
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

So far (and not quite 10, but I am working on it):

1. 1963 Fonseca Vintage
2. 1970 Graham Vintage
3. 1970 Taylor Vintage
4. 1952 Dalva White Colheita
5. 1944 Royal Oporto Colheita
6. Casa de Santa Eufemia Special Reserve White Port
7. 40 Year Burmester Tawny
8. 40 Year Graham Tawny (OK ... I just really like this, and it is my standby bottle.)

Interesting that, as I peruse this list, I owe #2,3,4,6 and 7 to my brother-in-law. We had a great tasting at his place in January and had all of these except the 1970 Graham. That one was our first taste of a Vintage back in 2006.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

EVERYBODY needs to fill in their list. What a great theme for a thread. It will be interesting to look back a decade from now and see if your list has changed drastically. For example, in looking at Derek's list, I notice he has not included the 1970 Fonseca and bet that when he has tasted it again (knowing his palate) that it will certainly find a spot high up on his list. This is just an example, as I know my own list still changes on occasion, although typical places 7-10.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

Man, do i have a long way to go. I dont even think i tasted 10 different ports at all. I'm not going to include supermarket ports.

Here's my list:
1. 2004 Quinta do Javali, loved the tannins !
2. 1985 Niepoort, sweet sweet wine
3. 1994 Dow, i still have the feeling it did not show its potential to me
4. 1997 Niepoort, VA proof bottle and years ahead
5. 1977 Quarles Harris, thick and syrup style wine
6. 1991 Taylor Quinta de Vargellas, cassis and cherries, what more could you wish...
7. 1997 Barao de Villar Colheita, a nice everyday wine that can be served to anyone
8. 2000 Taylor LBV, sweet and fruity, cant go wrong on this one
9. 1997 Burmester LBV, pairs excellent with portugese cheese
10. Im sure i have drank another one, but that was way before i found this website and made tasting notes
If it ain't dutch it ain't much

http://www.erikwiechers.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

1. 1963 Quinta do Noval Nacional
2. 1997 Quinta do Noval Nacional
3. 1994 Fonseca
4. 1994 Quinta do Noval Nacional
5. 1970 Fonseca
6. 1963 Fonseca
7. 1948 Graham
8. 1977 Gould-Campbell
9. 1994 Taylor
10. 1994 Vesuvio

1882 AJS Reserva - The greatest Colheita I've ever had, but it's too rare to consider for this list.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

What a great topic Alex! After much pondering and a very nice stroll down memory lane (aka TNs) I have come up with my top ten (for today):

1. Noval VP 2003 intense, young but so very good; so much potential
2. Taylor VP 1970 beautiful example of an aged Port; my WOTN in a vertical of Taylor back to 1963
T3. Taylor VP 1966 tied at 3rd-so young and fruity, powerful. Perfect example of the power of Taylor
T3. Taylor VP 1963 tied at third-more mellow and aged, but a great aged VP, could drink this every day for the rest of my life if I had tol
5. Portal VP 2003 phenomenal young VP and tremendous upside potential
6. Noval LBV 2001 (unfiltered) a staple at my house; I have probably drank more bottles of this than any other Port period. Great unfiltered LBV with some cellaring potential, but drinking excellent right now.
7. DOW Edit: (not Grahams as I had originally posted) 1985 shared with Moses and Sean C in Boston, this was drinking AWESOME right now!
8. Jose Maria da Fonseca & van Zeller VP 2003 reminds me a good deal of the Noval 2003; great QPR
9. Ferriera VP 1997 sentimental, my first VP ever sampled
10. Barros Colheita 1977 [b. 2006] An excellent aged Colheita. Amazingly smooth, rich and sweet.

That brings up two honorable mentions:
T11. Warre LBV 1995 (unfiltered)
T11. Noval LBV 2000 (unfiltered)
Both of these could have crept up into Top 10 if there was just one or two less great Ports on there.

Curiously, looking back at this list, I find a lot less Tawny-style Ports than I expected. I suspect that if I had the chance to try a Taylor 40 again (a full bottle rather than the 2 oz pour I once sampled in a restaurant) it might slightly edge out the Barros 1977 Colheita.

There are a couple of interesting notes about my Top 10 list:
-It is obvious that I lean to the "ruby" side of the house when it comes to Port although it was Tawny that really gained my love and trust in Port back in the beginning.
-I have never tried a Grahams VP. Malvedos, check. LBV, check. Aged Tawnies, check. 6 Grapes, yup. VP = NOPE.
-I have never tried a Fonseca VP either. I feel I am missing out on something in life here, and until I gain some experience with Fonseca, the other esteemed producer of the "blockbuster" VPs, I guess I will have to see if any of the Top 10 change.
-My experience with "old" VP is significantly stifled. Available and price are terrible here. Perhaps this is why 3 of my top 4 Ports are from the Taylor house (I attended a Taylor vertical going back thru major vintages to 1963 with Roy in November of last year.)

Editted for stupidity - wrong Port House :roll:
Last edited by Todd Pettinger on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Roy Hersh wrote: It will be interesting to look back a decade from now and see if your list has changed drastically.
Because of my lack of experience with aged VPs and many houses having never been sampled before (Niepoort, Grahams, Vesuvio, Fonseca) I can guarantee that my Top 10 will change.

Guess I just gotta keep going thru the Port!!! :D A tough job, yes. Someone has to do it though.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Wow, what a great thread and I love reading everyone's list of Ports. I do hope more people will chime in. There is no right or wrong answer, just whatever you like.

As soon as I recover from last nights escapades, I'll post mine.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ben Read

Post by Ben Read »

I do not have the records to fulfill a "Top 10" with any degree of accuracy, so this is simply my most memorable recorded Ports. I have been fortunate to try a number of great Ports over the years, but never really thought about keeping notes until recently. However, the top 1 sticks in the mind for obvious reasons!

1. Dow 1960 - the port my grandfather laid down for me at birth. I have one bottle left and plan to open it in the next few weeks, when my first child is born. Seems fitting really!
2. Noval 2001 LBV (unfiltered) - the first unfiltered LBV i tasted and a revelation to me in terms of quality / price comparisons. I have a new rule now - I will not buy a filtered LBV!
3. Delaforce Quinta Da Corte 1987 SQVP - something I tried on a recommendation and was very impressed with. Again, a fantastic bargain when it can be bought in the UK at around £17.50! In my view, it punches well above it weight as they say!
4. Tesco 1994 VP - I have to give this a mention. Not the greatest Port ever, but it is a great drinking Port at £12 currently on sale. Bottled by Quarles Harris for Tesco.

I am sure I will add to this list - particularly as a result of the odd Cockburn I am looking forward to tasting later this year!
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

It's a lot of fun wandering through old tasting notes and remembering all the special occasions where great bottles were opened. When composing my list, a few things were apparent: 1. I have a distinct preference for Fonseca and Taylor when it comes to VP, and I had to force myself to include others as well; 2. While I have tasted a fair share of very old ports, my favourites are more middle-aged (between the '50's and late '70's). Here's the list, more or less in random order.

10. Fonseca Guimaraens 1976
This was the port that LadyR and I served at our wedding dinner. Therefore it deserves a place in this list for sentimental reasons, but other than that it's a stunning port that would have made it to the list anyway.

9. Martinez 1994
Everybody has a 'soft-spot' port, one that you could drink time and time again and never get bored of it. This is mine.

8. Fonseca 1985
Soft-spot port number 2. I love this port, and have to force myself not to open our remaining bottles.

7. Taylor 1970
A powerhouse port. Drinking great at the moment, but still has so much more in store.

6. Niepoort 2003
Probably my favourite young vintage port. Dirk really outdid himself this year.

5. Fonseca 1920
A great memory to the fantastic christmas offline last year. Incredibly lively and complex. What a port.

4. Niepoort 1963
I was thinking if I should put this or the 1970 Niepoort in the list, but decided on this one, because it has just that little bit more that makes it truly memorable. A port that delivers peak drinking pleasure at the moment.

3. Cockburn 1983
The memory of LadyR, StevieCage and I ending a perfect holiday to the Douro and Porto in style certainly adds to the high ranking of this port (we drank it on the beautiful terrace of the Solar in Porto), but the port is very good as well. I've had it twice and loved it both times.

2. Taylor 1963
It is difficult to believe that port gets any better than this. Power and grace combined.

1. Fonseca 1977
There has been a lot of discussion on bottle variation with this port, and -unfortunately- I've had my share of sub-par bottles. But I've also been fortunate enough to taste a couple of perfect examples, and those represent everything that I love in Fonseca ports. Delicacy, graciousness, complexity and the wonderful Fonseca flowers. As good as it gets.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
John Owlett

Post by John Owlett »

Perhaps a slightly different approach: the physicians won’t let me drink much (meanies) so I try to make sure that I drink only good wines … and in particular that I have a case or so of each recent declared vintage in the cellar. So places 2 to 9 of my top ten are the ports I have chosen to keep from the vintages since 1977, in approximate order of my preference.

Place 1 goes to a wine from my birth year, a wine I can no longer afford, but which I still remember with affection. Place 10 goes my “everyday” port: I can afford financially to have this as an everyday port only because I cannot afford, for health reasons, to drink port every day.

1. 1948 Taylor
2. 1977 Dow
3. 1985 Fonseca
4. 1994 Dow
5. 2003 Fonseca
6. 1983 Fonseca
7. 1997 Niepoort
8. 2000 Dow
9. 1992 Fonseca
10. William Pickering 20-year-old tawny port (Berrys’ Own Selection made, for them by Quinta do Noval)

Later,

Dr Owl

----------------------------
John Owlett, Southampton, UK

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

These lists are great to read, both for the bottles themselves but more importantly the reasons why they are in your top 10. Here are mine, in no particular order....

1- 1963 Quinta do Noval Nacional VP (not only is the wine stunning, the location & people made this remarkable)
2- 1948 Taylors VP (This just blew my doors off)
3- 1815 Royal Oporto Colheita (the oldest Port I've had)
4- 1952 Dalva Golden White Colheita (the complexity of this is just unmatched)
5- 1994 Quinta do Noval Nacional VP (wow, what a monster young wine)
6- 1890 Ramos Pinto Colheita (my first pre1900 Port and what a great one to start with)
7- S. Leonardo Over 40 Year Old Tawny (still the best 40 yr tawny Ive ever had)
8- 1970 Quinta do Crasto Colheita (only one cask, unrefreshed, and it was so concentrated and remarkable...I want more)
9- 1945 Morgan VP (an awsome Port on its own, much to my surprise. But the company and debauchery it was shared with that night can't possibly be duplicated any time soon)
10- 1912 Niepoort Colheita (That night, around the table with so many old bottles and notable guests, this one really stood out)

Oh my, after pouring over all my TN books i narrowed it down to the above 10. No easy tasks as I would have loved to include more. But I was amazed at how many were truely stunning, high scoring wines, yet the memories behind when they were consumed that came alive, it was like I was there all over again. I guess that is what makes the Port world so great...yes there are stunning wines, but the memories of the people they were shared with overshadows them. But that is topic for another day.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

1. 1935 Taylor
2. 1955 Cockburn
3. 1945 Croft
4. 1927 Cockburn
5. 1977 Taylor
6. 1997 Noval
7. 1937 Burmester Colheita
8. 1963 Graham
9. 1994 Taylor
10.1955 Dow

These bottles stand out in my mind as some of the finest & most memorable.....