July VT suggestion

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

July VT suggestion

Post by Frederick Blais »

As we are coming close to the hottest days of the year, I'd suggest something refreshing for this July VT. How about exploring the world of Vinho Verde. These wines are intense and fresh, sometimes very fruity and fizzy, other times crisp, dry and very mineral. I know it is not Douro or Madeira, but is close as Vinho Verde production extends from the Minho to the Douro.

Other suggestions are welcome too.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: July VT suggestion

Post by Roy Hersh »

Beginning of summer ... hmmm, how about a "chilled Port" ... A 10/20 year old Tawny or White Port or White Colheita Port ... or for those adventurous enough, Pink port? 8--)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I like the White Port idea... we could try it stand alone, or as a Port Tonic, or both!

I have a bottle of Porto Rocha Very Old Dry White Port that I'd open for this VT.
Glenn Elliott
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

I've seen the Broadbent Vinho Verde locally so that would be a good option for me. I've got a white Port in the fridge ready for Port tonics and 10/20 year tawnies are easy to find. Either of those sounds like a good choice to me. If we do the 10/20 year Tawny it might be fun to stick to just one or two producers to get multiple impressions on the same wine. I would think Taylor and Fonseca are available in most markets.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Actually Vinho Verde is not from the Douro region, no less a white Port! Most VV comes from Alvarinho and other white grapes which come from a region that was called MINHO until a couple of years ago, when Vinho Verde was given its own appellation. But even though I take literary license by including some VVs in with my Douro TNs, at least for the record, people should be made aware of the difference.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com