1927 Niepoort Colheita Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

João Rico

1927 Niepoort Colheita Port

Post by João Rico »

Niepoort Tawny 1927 (bottled 1941 and recorked 1978)
This wine is part of Rolf Niepoort, which received as a tribute from his father, when Rolf was born. It was never sold and only 350 bottles were bottled.
Neither know where to begin. Fantastic color for a wine this year. It is not ambar because of reddish reflexed that shows.
In the nose is the complexity that drives. Rich and intense has many notes of roasting, caramel, cherry and even some spices and english cake.
Velvety mouth, rich, deep and intense with a apotheosis aftertaste. Never drank nothing like this and i don't have any doubts in place it at the top of my preferences. It was an honour for me to have drunk this great tribute.
Last edited by João Rico on Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erik Wiechers

Re: 1927 Niepoort Tawny

Post by Erik Wiechers »

It is an honour indeed. Congrats on drinking this once in a lifetime bottle.
If it ain't dutch it ain't much

http://www.erikwiechers.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1927 Niepoort Tawny

Post by Roy Hersh »

1927 Niepoort remains possibly the greatest vintage ever, produced by this house. I have been fortunate to try the 1927 Niepoort Vintage Port, just once, back in 2003 and probably won't try it more than one more time in the future. Unlike Joao, I have never had the good fortune to have the Colheita from the same vintage. I used to wonder why in some years, Niepoort would make both ... Vintage and Colheita Ports. Newton was correct and this is just another example that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com