2003 Niepoort Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Luc Gauthier

2003 Niepoort Vintage Port

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Amongst other discussions , the pros and cons of the 20 pts tasting score vs the 100pts .
As I've just started , the 20 pts method seems simpler , for now .

For starters , a definite floral flagrance ( Fred defines it as a sexy floral flagrance , my limited vocabulary does not permit me to describe the fragrance in this way . . . )
Next thing I noticed was the taste of peppers .
The tannins grabed and grabed and grabed !!
Since the finish seemed long , the acidity was very present .
Plenty of backbone , a candidate for old age !! 18/20
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Niepoort 2003

Post by Roy Hersh »

Luc,

I want to personally thank you for taking a stab at what just might be your very first tasting note here. I am serious, this is much appreciated and I know that at first it is not always comfortable to put your tasting impressions down here. Glenn did so too, fairly recently and I have enjoyed others over the years. I remember my friend Nicos' very first post on Squires after much consternation and prodding by me. I remember Andy when he was still a green grasshopper back when FTLOP got underway and others, even Stewart and my friend Eric LeVine from CellarTracker. It is intimidating and scary at first, but hopefully by now you've seen the warm reception given to those that go out of their comfort zone to do TNs here ... even if for the very first time. It doesn't take long to gain confidence in your palate and the best way is to document here, exactly what you taste and smell.

i have coached many and tell them, :scholar: don't try to find what everything smells and tastes like ... that can come later. Initially, try to say what you do and don't like about a wine, Port or otherwise, you can practice with other wines in the Douro section and with non-Portuguese dry wines ... from Canada, US, France, Italy, Germany, Australia or ANYWHERE ... in our other discussions area, which was built with that as one of its multi-purposes. But please do continue to document your notes. Behind the scenes over the last few weeks, Stewart is hard at work and is building a new PORT Tasting Note database with Jacob to unleash here hopefully before the end of the summer. We've talked about this for two years but had many other projects in the works. Finally this one is close to becomeing reality. We'd love to see more of your writing and encourage you to please note all of the Ports you drink.

THANK YOU, :winepour:

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Luc,

Congrats on the TN :salute:

I've also said, write what you feel. Don't worry about trying to make it sound like some pro-reviewer. I really appreciate anyone who puts how they feel about a wine on a forum. Its a scary task and I remember when i posted my first. Thanks again for posting it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Luc,

I know this seems hard to believe, but by taking careful notes and sharing them, you will become a more precise taster and learn more about your own palate than you know today. It really makes you focus!
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Luc,

You will learn more about your own palate and develop a better ability to taste Port by writing and posting your notes. It will really help you to focus better and besides, we are here to encourage you! :salute:

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com