Turning 3 years old - A request from Roy

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Turning 3 years old - A request from Roy

Post by Roy Hersh »

On Tuesday, July 29th 2008, the FTLOP website and Forum both turn 3 years old. Stewart and I celebrated a bit early, last night and I will do a BLOG entry about the evening's festivities including a fine Mag of VP and a surprise visit from Portugal, as soon as this posting is finished.

It does not seem possible that this all began in 2005, just three short years ago as it seems like we've been here together for far longer. I am very pleased to say that I have met close to 100 Port lovers in a variety of countries, during that time frame, who have participated here on FTLOP.

If I may ask one thing of everybody who bothers to read this post? Between now and Wednesday, please open one bottle of Port wine to help us celebrate the 3rd anniversary ... from your cellar and then post a tasting note in our Port TN Forum. I would sincerely appreciate that in lieu of our being able to all be together for a big celebration.

In 2010, when we turn 5 years old, I will do my best to host a FTLOP Get Together for everyone to spend a weekend doing a huge offline and think it would be a ton of fun!

In the meantime, I hope you will participate and celebrate along with us, this wonderful three years we've shared together in Collective Port Wisdom. I will toast to you all in appreciation of your sharing and caring posts here! :winepour:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Re: Turning 3 years old - A request from Roy

Post by Frederick Blais »

I will dedicate the August VT for a nice VP in lieu of Celebration!

TY :ftlop:
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

You got it! I have a bottle that I've been saving for just such an occasion - this weekend will be a perfect time to pop it open!

Marc
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Having joined this site - somehow? - over five years before anyone else, I will be happy to pop a bottle of VP to celebrate.

Tom
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Ack! I will be in Dublin with no access to my cellar...

but... hmm... there's a BB&R on Harry Street! I'm sure they'll have something appropriate for a FTLOPer stranded overseas!
Glenn Elliott
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

I just opened a bottle : Graham's Malvedos '98
TN's as we speak . . .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Unfortunately, I'll be a couple of weeks late since I'm not in country right now; but I'll be sure to once I get home. By the way, Roy's blog on the celebration is just the thing I like to read blogwise.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Now to choose my own bottle, which I have not done as of yet. Tomorrow is the big day!

Everybody ready?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Great time for that '27 Fonseca...

Congrat's on this big occasion. :clap: :winepour:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

It is not exactly port weather here at 104F or 40C but I have a 1991 Taylor Quinto de Vargellas I am going to open on Wed July 30 so I will post a note and congrats, Roy, Stewart et al.
Richard Henderson
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks guys. It wouldn't happen without you! :clap: :clap: :drunk: :wink:

I have just decanted my bottle of 1983 Gould Campbell, one that I have not had in too long, considering the size of my stash. I chose it because of the current thread #16 on Gould Campbell and because it ended in a "3" digit and I don't own any GC from 1963! More importantly, it was the year I started to drink Vintage Port, now 25 years back in time. Scary!

The color is that of a 2000 VP and the nose has the who downstairs of my home, smelling beautifuly.

Looking forward to trying this. Wish I had others around to share this with!

I truly hope that I am not going to be drinking alone (cyber wise) this evening! :hello:
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Roy Hersh wrote:
I truly hope that I am not going to be drinking alone (cyber wise) this evening! :hello:
Not Port tonight but wine, I'm on Chateau Margaux 2002, it came on the market a couple months before FLTOP, so this is all indicated drink :D Cheers :hello:
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

1983 Gould Campbell
Great minds think alike!

I'm three days into this decanter, and its showing quite nicely now.
The color is that of a 2000 VP
But the meniscus is just about clear - I'm struggling to guess where this one is heading..

Tom
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

I have a glass of '95 Smith-Woodhouse Madelena in my hand right now. Keep up the good work!

Jay
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Not a Port, but I am enjoying one of my go-to Madeira's...the 1996 Justino's Colheita. Happy birthday :ftlop:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I tried to get a glass at the bar downstairs in the hotel, but can you believe it? They have NO PORT!!!

It has been a busy week in Dublin... so busy that we haven't even been going out to eat. Last night was pizza during a conference call with Seattle at 7:00 pm Dublin time. *sigh*

I have a 20-yr old Duque de Braganca that I intend to open on Friday night as soon as I get home... that will have to suffice as they're not leaving me with any time here to do anything but work and sleep!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hey, please save me a glass of that 20 year old, my favorite of all. I have not had it since May and am totally out ... it would be fun to get together and drink some Port and hear about your trip.

I was looking to share my '77 Warre and '83 Gould with you ... but the former is gone and the latter will be by tomorrow. I am working on it, but need it to last a 2nd day for TN sake. :wink:
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Let's get together this weekend... I still have half a bottle of the Sandeman 20-yr old, plus I'm going to open that Ferreira, plus I could open a Ramos Pinto. We could do a mini ... uh, is it still called a horizontal when they're not dated? :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I've just finished a week that was truly from hell and have only just logged on to the site to try and catch up a bit. First thing to say is HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Now let's see, what was I drinking on the 29th - I think that was a bottle of Quinta da Madalena 1988. I will post a tasting note in a few minutes.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Just got in from a nice little mini-vacation. Had a 1995 Fonseca G. and a 2000 Smith Woodhouse. Need to get unpacked, so TN's will be posted later.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com