1977 Dow Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John Owlett

1977 Dow Vintage Port

Post by John Owlett »

(My first tasting note. Sorry about any infelicities.)

The cork was purple in colour, but there was no blue in the colour of the wine. It was a deep red, lightening at the edges. When I swirled the glass, tears formed by differential evaporation slithered down the side of the glass. There was a concentrated blackcurrant aroma followed by a full mouthfeel and finish that lasted half a minute or so. No real astringency, so I guess the tannins had integrated fully into the wine. It was not too sweet but - towards the end of the second glass - it seemed a little cloying (perhaps a touch too little acid?)

Later,

Dr Owl

----------------------------
John Owlett, Southampton, UK
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1977 Dow - 3rd anniversary of FLOTP

Post by Andy Velebil »

John,

An excellant TN, so don't worry about it being your first. You described your experience with that bottle just fine. I do have a question, how long was it decanted before you started drinking?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Owlett

Re: 1977 Dow - 3rd anniversary of FLOTP

Post by John Owlett »

Thanks, Andy.

I drank two glasses two hours after battling with the inner seal on the bottle and decanting it ... and then a further two glasses 24 hours later. I couldn't notice any significant difference between the two. In between, the wine was kept in the fridge in a spare half-bottle with a VacuVin stopper.

John