1983 Warre's Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Elyas Beria

1983 Warre's Vintage Port

Post by Elyas Beria »

Drunk on 8/16/08 and decanted for 2.5 to 3 hours. This Port surprised me at how amazingly perfect it was. I expected a lot more tannin and color but the there was a lot more sediment than I thought there would be, the color was lighter and the palate, oh my, oh so smooth. Like sucking on silky smooth caramel toffee. Rich and mouthfillingly round. Nice deep dark cherry notes with a little bitter cherry pit undertone as well. This Port is ready and just at the beginning of that journey. Really fantastic.

###
Attachments
Warres1983.jpg
Warres1983.jpg (15.44 KiB) Viewed 346 times
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1983 Warre's Vintage Port

Post by Roy Hersh »

Nice note and thanks for posting it and the photos. What are you using to heat your Port tongs?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

As I've said many times, I've always enjoyed Warre's VP's. The '83 is one I've had a couple of times in the past year or two and it has always been a stellar VP and IMO one of the top '83s. Thanks for the TN
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Elyas Beria

Post by Elyas Beria »

Thanks! It was a pleasure to drink, believe me.

I'm using just a gas range to heat up my fake "tongs." One of the burners on our range is a so-called "power boost burner," it puts out more BTUs than the rest so that's the one I use. I think since my "tongs" are basically a thick wire they're much easier to heat up than the heavy traditional tongs. They also lose the heat more quickly so you have to act fast.