1985 Graham Porto Vintage

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

1985 Graham Porto Vintage

Post by Alex R »

1985 Graham Porto Vintage (Decanted for 2 hours, fogo de chao dinner) with a nose of blackberry, raspberry and allot of blueberry. The palate was smooth with no heat (knott's berry farm blueberry jam in a port glass) this was a close 2nd to the fonseca 85.94-95pts
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1985 Graham Porto Vintage

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alex,

I don't know if you've read my thoughts on this and the Fonseca in comparison, before. I used to prefer the Graham's '85 ... a stunning Port since its release and I was fortunate to try it early on. The Fonseca was much more austere when young and wound tightly. Over the course of the past five years, I've begun to appreciate the Fonseca even more and have found it to surpass the '85 Fonseca in side-by-side blind tastings. It is doing a tasting like that (have a friend put the bags over the bottles and mix them up without you seeing) that really helps you to assess which are the qualities that you prefer between the two. I love doing this, especially with new cask samples and VPs about to be released. However, some of the most fun comparative pairings are of older bottlings. A 1963 Grahams vs. Taylor vs. Fonseca (same with 1966 and 1970) are brilliant exercises in determining your level of drinking pleasure. Get Andy to do this with you!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com