Trying To Plan A Massive Vertical In Feb.

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Trying To Plan A Massive Vertical In Feb.

Post by SEAN C. »

I've been talking with a few fellow Port enthusiasts about perhaps having another giant vertical in Boston this February. My preference is to do Graham or Fonseca and not go into the 80's. Which would mean attendees would have to supply one pre-1950's bottle and one post 1950's bottle. Either vertical would require some effort in sourcing bottles as I have not seen any pre 1900's bottles for sale from either house for quite some time and I don't know of anyone who has such bottles in cellarage. My oldest Fonseca is a 1912 and I drank two of my oldest Graham's a 1908 and 1927! So If anyone is interested please post and list what you have or can potentially get.
If this does not work out we were also mulling over doing horizontals ..either 1927 or 1945.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: TRYING TO PLAN A MASSIVE VERTICAL IN FEB.

Post by Andy Velebil »

I'll have to check and probably source bottles, but that is plenty of time. The last one was awsome and I'd love to to another in the same type of format. Sean, thanks for a the heads up on this and we'll talk and figure it out.

For those who would like to attend...the last one we had in Feb this year was awsome so this one would not be one to miss either. Start planning now is my recommendation.

I'd love to do a Grahams....don't hear much about these older bottles. But either would be fun
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I would love to be part of one of these massive Port-fests, but I'm worried that I simply cannot consume that much Port at one time! I see threads in various places with people wondering whether or not 8 bottles for 7 people will be enough... um yeah that's enough, we're talking about a week's supply, right?

If each person brings two bottles... in all seriousness it would take me at least a week to consume two bottles. I'm a one-glass-per-night kind of guy most of the time, and I get about 8 glasses out of a bottle. 2 bottles in 2 days? :shock:

But that aside, the only bottles I have which qualify are Fonsecas - one '63 and one '64 - and neither is currently in my possession. Plus, the F64 is intended for my retirement party eventually so really only the F63 would be available. I'd have to source something pre-1950.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glenn,

Who said anything about doing this over two days. 2 bottles per person in one night. :lol:

If Fonseca, I'd put up a 1934 in pristine condition and a 1970.

However, Sean ... are you EVER going to put that article together that you've promised for the past six months? I'd love to publish it for you on the great Croft vertical. 8--)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:Glenn,

Who said anything about doing this over two days. 2 bottles per person in one night. :lol:
If an all-day'er, then two bottles a person is like nothing. Remember, there could be a couple lackluster bottles in the mix too.

I am down for Grahams or Fonseca; better start saving now! I do not having anything pre-80 from either house.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Who said anything about doing this over two days. 2 bottles per person in one night. :lol:
:winepour: :)
:winepour: :D
:winepour: :drunk:
:winepour: :drunk: :soapbox: :blah:
:winepour: :shock: :? :oops:
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Re: Trying To Plan A Massive Vertical In Feb.

Post by Moses Botbol »

At the Croft Vertical, we were at about 3+ bottles a person before the weekend was over... :twisted:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Fonseca and Graham - I only have 1948 from the pre-1950 range

1945 - I have 3 different shippers

1927 - I have 3 shippers and an unknown

I would also be interested in a 19 century port tasting if enough people are able to find old bottles to open.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Who was that stranger who just posted here? :shock:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Glenn,

If Fonseca, I'd put up a 1934 in pristine condition and a 1970.

However, Sean ... are you EVER going to put that article together that you've promised for the past six months? I'd love to publish it for you on the great Croft vertical. 8--)
Sounds good..we're perhaps getting somewhere already!
The article is done ..I'll send it to you after the long weekend!

Roy can't you work on Glenn as he appears to be in your neck of the woods.. two bottles of Port should be nothing for a fellow FTLOP member! :lol:
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Who was that stranger who just posted here? :shock:
Someone who has a lot of catching up to do with posts that have gone on the forum since I was last able to visit!
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Just to test myself, I had 4 glasses of that Messina Hof Tawny Texas port on Saturday throughout the afternoon. I discovered two things:

1) I can actually drink half a bottle of port in one day, and in fact could have drunk more if I hadn't been driving to a friend's house for the evening.
2) It's not Port, but that Messina Hof Tawny Texas port is surprisingly good! It's softer and more silky than anything but a 40-yr old tawny, but lacks complexity. The flavor profile fits me almost perfectly, though, so it was really easy to keep pouring another glass.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:Who was that stranger who just posted here? :shock:
Someone who has a lot of catching up to do with posts that have gone on the forum since I was last able to visit!
Glad to see ya back here :salute: Hope the vacation was great....it was S.A. right?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com